Getting my head around LVM backup

tomc

Mar 10, 2010
Sydney Australia
Hi
I'm an old guy trying to get into Linux in general and into Visualization. I have setup 3 PC's with ProxMox 2.1, have done the full-upgrade on each box. Played around with adding and removing XP, Server 2003, Server 2008.
Wiped all the drives did fresh installs then created a cluster. Installed a 50GB Windows Server2003 and could migrate this from one box to the other. First question, the windows installs shows the network card as Intel E1000 connecting at 1GB, this is the same on all boxes, I have done tests to and from other pc's on the network and it is 1GB connection. When I do a migrate, it is only transferring at around 11MBps.
Next I would like to backup the virtual machines using snapshots, can I do that by adding another HardDrive to one of the machines??
I would need to make it an LVM. Would this only work for that machine or could I backup from the other two as well?
Do I partition, format and mount the drive, then make it an LVM?
Yes I know I should have started looking a Linux 10-15 years ago.
Better late than never.
Tom

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!