Advice for Windows Home Server

docmattman

Sep 14, 2012
I have PVE 2.1 setup with some VMs already. I'd like to setup Windows Home Server inside PVE and was looking for some general advice. WHS can take multiple disks and create a storage pool to allow for data redundancy. I know that PVE can do backups of disks. Anyone have any opinions as to the better solution? Should I add multiple disks to the WHS vm and let it create the storage pool and handle redundancy, or should I only give it a single disk and let PVE back it up to a separate disk?

Also, is there some sort of "passthrough" option to give an entire disk (or multiple disks) to a VM? If I add a 2TB drive to my system for WHS, can I just assign that disk to the vm or do I need to create an LVM, add it to the storage pool, then assign it? Basically I'd like to dedicate a few full drives full to the WHS vm and I wouldn't need to share it with any other vms or have backups of it.

If I have 3 x 2TB drives to dedicate to my WHS vm, would it be better to add them individually to the vm and let WHS pool the drives, or would it be better to create an LVM that combines all the drives and add that to WHS?

I know a some of the questions are a matter of opinion and personal choice. I was just looking to get some feedback and suggestions from people smarter and more experienced with all this than me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!