Windows 2008 R2 Server Standard Edition - VIRTIO NIC Drivers dont work on boot

C

Chris Rivera

I am using the VIRTIO drivers for the nic card in windows. This works perfect as expected all until you reboot the server.

When the server gets rebooted we must console into the server and disable the nic card and then enable the nic again to get it to work. If we do not do this it shows that its connected to an unidentified network with no internet access

How can we get this to work on reboot?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Same issue here. I have two virtio nics attached to the VM (Windows 2008 R2 Standard) and after a reboot i cant reach the server. The nics are up and ipconfig shows correct settings. However now traffic is flowing.

As a temporary workarround i have created a script to be executed at startup (task scheduler) to disable and enable the interfaces. With two interfaces named LAN and WAN just copy theese lines into a file and called it e.g. ifreboot.cmd.

netsh interface set interface LAN disabled
netsh interface set interface LAN enabled
netsh interface set interface WAN disabled
netsh interface set interface WAN enabled

Create a scheduled task to execute that script at startup. For me it takes about 30 sec. to get the interface responding again after i see the login window at the console screen.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!