new proxmox ve Installation network down

A

amravit

hello all
i just installed proxmox ve in a hope of getting away from vmware
the installation went fine but once the machine started
there were no network connectivity when i tried t dig in to see whats the problem
i found out when i restart the network /etc/init.d/networks restart

i get an error unable to find eth0

any idea were to start
iam working on intel based server i7 and both network cards are intel

regards
amr

hello all
i just installed proxmox ve in a hope of getting away from vmware
the installation went fine but once the machine started
there were no network connectivity when i tried t dig in to see whats the problem
i found out when i restart the network /etc/init.d/networks restart

i get an error unable to find eth0

any idea were to start
iam working on intel based server i7 and both network cards are intel

regards
amr

Check ifconfig -a if you have any cards detected?

Did you replace or move network cards in different slots?

Check the contents of /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

What does lspci -v show?

Check ifconfig -a if you have any cards detected?

Did you replace or move network cards in different slots?

Check the contents of /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

What does lspci -v show?

running ifconfig -a showing up

loop back , venet0
vmbr0 with the static ip configuration i had put on the installation .

i tried several times to change the network cards it didnt work i know its not hardware fault since i installed centos before that and worked fine

running lspci showing

showing dual cards intel 82576 gigabit subsystem supermicro

the server is kinda new technology its nehalem-ep intel prossor
chipest tylersburg-ep
regards
amr

running ifconfig -a showing up

loop back , venet0
vmbr0 with the static ip configuration i had put on the installation .

i tried several times to change the network cards it didnt work i know its not hardware fault since i installed centos before that and worked fine

running lspci showing

showing dual cards intel 82576 gigabit subsystem supermicro

the server is kinda new technology its nehalem-ep intel prossor
chipest tylersburg-ep
regards
amr

Looks like 2.6.24 does not have network drivers for your hardware.

Please, post "lspci" as I asked you before (for network cards, please post "lspci -v" output).

Looks like 2.6.24 does not have network drivers for your hardware.

Please, post "lspci" as I asked you before (for network cards, please post "lspci -v" output).
lspci -v showed as i posted above the 2 network cards
what do u need me to type exactly since iam unable to do a screen shot since the network is down @ that server
regards
amr

lspci -v showed as i posted above the 2 network cards
what do u need me to type exactly since iam unable to do a screen shot since the network is down @ that server
regards
amr

BTW, your cards should be supported by the igb driver.

If you do:

modprobe igb
ifconfig -a

Do you see your cards?

BTW, your cards should be supported by the igb driver.

If you do:

modprobe igb
ifconfig -a

Do you see your cards?
doing modprobe igb i do see intel nework gigabit cards

ifconfig -a

i dont see any thing other then vmbr0 still nothing related to eth0
iam going off my head not sure why i cant see the network cards

regards
amr

doing modprobe igb i do see intel nework gigabit cards

ifconfig -a

i dont see any thing other then vmbr0 still nothing related to eth0
iam going off my head not sure why i cant see the network cards

regards
amr

I see 82576 support first appears in kernel 2.6.25. Debian Etch uses 2.6.24, so no luck for you.

Either compile a newer kernel (which might be tricky if you want to use OpenVZ; if you only want to use KVM, it should be fine) or, backport the driver.

I see 82576 support first appears in kernel 2.6.25. Debian Etch uses 2.6.24, so no luck for you.

Either compile a newer kernel (which might be tricky if you want to use OpenVZ; if you only want to use KVM, it should be fine) or, backport the driver.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blo...tel-wired-ethernet-project-on-sourceforgenet/

am stuck in trying to

make as o get messge
make command not found iam sorry first time on debian or proxmox version at least

regards
amr

I already compiled a kernel for you - why don't you use it?

- Dietmar
up and running fine now thanks may i ask if is there away to get new kernel version compiled to support new hardware like the nehalem i7

iam running new intel test machine x55600

and running lspci -v shows alot of unknown hardware

p.s all the server is intel there is no other hardware brand

regards
amr

up and running fine now thanks may i ask if is there away to get new kernel version compiled to support new hardware like the nehalem i7

iam running new intel test machine x55600

and running lspci -v shows alot of unknown hardware

p.s all the server is intel there is no other hardware brand

regards
amr

Just run:

update-pciids

as root.

"Unknown hardware" in lspci just means that lspci tools doesn't have it in its "database".

If I understand well the posts, it is now possible to run proxmox in a server with nehalem technology and sas raid5 ( 3Ware 9650 8x SATA (0,1,5,6,10,50) inkl. BBU)? In my non-profit organization ( www.fau.ch ) we would like to deploy proxmox (too good not to use it!) but we have only a amd64 phenom testserver. We would like to buy a professional server with nehalem but we want to be sure, proxmox is working on that. thank you for a reply

If I understand well the posts, it is now possible to run proxmox in a server with nehalem technology and sas raid5 ( 3Ware 9650 8x SATA (0,1,5,6,10,50) inkl. BBU)? In my non-profit organization ( www.fau.ch ) we would like to deploy proxmox (too good not to use it!) but we have only a amd64 phenom testserver. We would like to buy a professional server with nehalem but we want to be sure, proxmox is working on that. thank you for a reply

I personally never tested a Nehalem (still not enough people donated for our test labs ...) but it should work. if not, we will try to compile a new kernel as soon as possible but maybe others can confirm that it is already working. so just go for it!

Hello Tom
thanks for the quick reply. and also many thanks for your disponibility to compile a kernel. You know, the thomas-krenn-server we would like to buy in a couple of months, costs $ 10'000, so I have really to be sure. Today I demonstrated the proxmox to my IT-team and there was a big enthusiasm.
I try to convince the responsibles, to make a donation. Regards Maurizio

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!