ernie

Renowned Member
Sep 17, 2009
With the following hardware:

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
BIOS: F11
CPU: i5-3570K
Mem: 32Gb

and a fresh install of Proxmox VE 2.1, I am unable to install FreeBSD in a VM or boot an existing FreeBSD VM. Starting the VM gets into the bootloader but once I select a boot option it freezes with the \ character displayed. I'm thinking there might be a BIOS setting I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am able to install CentOS so I know the KVM module is loaded and working.

Ernie

PFsense 2.0.1 doesn't run well in Proxmox.. CPU usage just goes through the roof. Try the 2.1 beta. I have a 32 bit version running with virtIO drivers (balloon, nic, hdd etc) perfectly. haven't tried the 64 bit version yet myself.

Seems that problem with all BSD x64 guests.
I've tryed FreeBSD, FreeNAS, PFsense.
All x64 freeze after boot countdown.
All x32 starts and installs well.

Seems that problem with all BSD x64 guests.
I've tryed FreeBSD, FreeNAS, PFsense.
All x64 freeze after boot countdown.
All x32 starts and installs well.

Running 32 bit version works.

I do have 64 bit pfsence 2.0.1 running on different box no issues. Guess I'll just have to migrate to 32 bit for now.

Thanks

just installed nas4free x64 version with no issues (NAS4Free-x64-LiveCD-9.0.0.1.188.iso)

PHP:
# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.1-14 (pve-manager/2.1/f32f3f46)
running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.1-74
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-14-pve: 2.6.32-74
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.92-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.8-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-27
qemu-server: 2.0-49
pve-firmware: 1.0-18
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-30
libpve-access-control: 1.0-24
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-30
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.1-8
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

As my original post says this is only an issue on my new hardware, I have other older boxes that work just fine. Does anyone know of a possible BIOS setting that would cause FreeBSD 64bit to hang?

just in case, I run Proxmox on GIGABYTE GA-Q77M-D2H[h=1][/h][h=3][/h]

Hi Ernie...

I have the exact same problem on a new DH77DF with a i3-3220T , did a post on it today...

Another board and things just work... Have been through my BIOS but does not see option
to set , to avoid this.. What CPU are you using ????

/Michael

We have the same issue.

Our motherboard was breaking, so we replaced with a ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 with an Intel Core i7 .

There has got to be a bios setting to get around this, I hope.

Any suggestions?

Hi RobFantini..

I have been through all BIOS updates , tweaking the BIOS as a mad man , 2 different CPU gen3 , 2 different Boards.
In 5 days i'll got another DH77DF board with an i7-2600 gen2 Intel , for a test system.
I have the same problem , in a Older board when i put in those gen3 CPU.

Are you up running on your hardware ????
What have your testet ????

/Best Michael

using i386 pfSense works. the amd64 one would not boot. I tried a few bios options and kvm cpu types and could not get it working.

is using 386 pfsense an option for you?

Hi RobFantini...

Fine you have the same issues as i had. Though that I was the only one :)
I have testet Pfsense i386 2.1Beta0 , and with my setup no problems..
I'm close to have viotio drivers working but not enough...

Have you tried them in this beta release ???

/Michael

Hi
I've not had a chance to try beta pfsense. Soon we're going to set up a vpn for the 1-st time , maybe we'll use the new release for that. Do you use vpn's with pfsense?

Hi ...

I'm going to use VPN , but right now i struggeling with my hardware/software issues...

Have tried the viotio driver in Pfsense 2.1Beta , I have some issues with them but
properly someone at their forum , can guide me..

/Michael

Hi,

I have successfully installed nas4free-x64 (FreeBSD-9.1) on proxmox. To be able to do this you cannot choose either qemu-64 or kvm-64 as cpu architecture. The architecture I have been successful with is core2duo.

Hi Mir...

The issues i see so far is only on the Intel Gen3 processors.

I have tested PfSense AMD64 on an I3-3220T and an I5-3570 (fails)
On my I5-2500K it works fine.

/Best Michael

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!