Network Settings incorrectly detected during installation...

AltReality

Jul 12, 2012
Could anyone give me a hand with the Proxmox VE network configuration?

During installation it detects 192.168.100.2 as it's IP address, 255.255.255.0 as the netmask, and 192.168.100.1 as the gateway and DNS server.

My internal network is 192.168.1.x, and my gateway is 192.168.1.254. I am not sure why it is detecting the 100 value...unless it is trying to create it's own sub-net under my existing network...which would be fine.

When I allow the installation to continue with the detected addresses, and I restart after the installation completes, I am given the login prompt with an instruction to point my web browser to https://192.168.100.2:8006 to access the web configuration page. - I am not able to reach this page. I am not able to ping this address.

I reinstalled using IP settings of 192.168.1.2 (an available IP on my network) mask of 255.255.255.0, Gateway and DNS of 192.168.1.254. I get the same problem.

When I login as root to the box itself, (under either configuration) and do an ifconfig, I notice that the eth0 device does not have an ipv4 address, only a v6 address, and that the address specified during install is listed under vmbr01 (which is the virtual bridge?)

I've tried google searches all morning, and all tutorials and instructions skip right past the network config, indicating that the detected values are correct.

Any ideas that I can try?

Thanks!

Reactions: inf3rno
this IP is chosen if no DHCP server is reached during installation. do you have one in your network? if yes, seems you got more than one nic on your server and you did not connect them?

Aah...interesting..
I have a DHCP server on the network, and only one NIC on the server...but I can use this info...

Thanks..that means i'm likely not getting network connectivity at all

Any Info about your nic Hardware?

looks not supported, use server hardware for Proxmox VE. for this board, add a intel nic (pci-express).

Where is the list of supported NICs? This server is mounted to a board on my wall...a PCI-x nic would look awful. I may have to try ESXi if this doesn't work.

I found the supported mainboard list on the wiki - the Z68A-G43 is listed as all componants working, and it has the same NIC chipset as my mobo. my board is actually a Z77A-G45..which isn't technically on the list, but the componants are very similar to the Z68A-G43. I'm checking out the differences now...but I think the NIC should work fine.

I am having the exact same issue except I am not utilizing DHCP at all as my server is co-located in a datacenter and I am utilizing a public IP address(although proxmox did try to use a private IP range during installation). I know my cable, NIC, and IP settings work because I was running Xen XCP on this server prior to wiping it so I can install proxmox. I am unable to ping my server, or ping out to the Internet from within my server. My Proxmox installation is a fresh install with no configurations done, all I did was install but since I couldn't get to the web interface I haven't done anything further.

I was thinking maybe it was a eth0 configuration issue since all the examples I come across deal with private IPs or grabbing IPs via DHCP. Your the only reference I found to be having the exact same issue.

I really hope this is not a NIC incompatibility issue though, I am using the onboard NIC of a supermicro server. The Server has 2 NICs but I am only utilizing one so only have a uplink cable plugged into eth0.

Were you ever able to get this to work? Does anyone have any further advice or troubleshooting tips that might narrow down the cause? This is my first proxmox installation but I have been googling and reading articles forever with no luck.

I am having the exact same issue except I am not utilizing DHCP at all as my server is co-located in a datacenter and I am utilizing a public IP address(although proxmox did try to use a private IP range during installation). I know my cable, NIC, and IP settings work because I was running Xen XCP on this server prior to wiping it so I can install proxmox. I am unable to ping my server, or ping out to the Internet from within my server. My Proxmox installation is a fresh install with no configurations done, all I did was install but since I couldn't get to the web interface I haven't done anything further.

I was thinking maybe it was a eth0 configuration issue since all the examples I come across deal with private IPs or grabbing IPs via DHCP. Your the only reference I found to be having the exact same issue.

I really hope this is not a NIC incompatibility issue though, I am using the onboard NIC of a supermicro server. The Server has 2 NICs but I am only utilizing one so only have a uplink cable plugged into eth0.

Were you ever able to get this to work? Does anyone have any further advice or troubleshooting tips that might narrow down the cause? This is my first proxmox installation but I have been googling and reading articles forever with no luck.

Yeah the comment that the guy made saying that the IP address was the one it used when it couldn't reach the DHCP server was the key to the problem. My network cable was not inserted into the jack all the way. I plugged it in properly and it picked right up. I've been running it now for a few weeks with no serious issues. - If you're not using DHCP, then I bet it's just a matter of physical connectivity. Possibly routing/firewall related, but more likely trace out the cable, make sure that the computer actually does in fact have network connectivity.

1. When clicking on the link for the the driver download, it just forwards me to http://www.realtek.com/downloads.

2. I know that I am not experience any layer 1 issues. The cable works, it is plugged in, link lights are lit on both nic and switch. Also I am not behind any type of firewall or security protocols.

It is weird, Xen XCP, VMware, ubuntu, centos, all work right out the box with my NIC and network settings. I am not sure why proxmox won't connect to the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't copy and paste because I am connected to the server via a IPKVM:

1. for pveversion -v (Installed proxmox-ve_2.1-f9b0f63a-26.iso)
- pve-manager: 2.1-1 (pve-manager/2.1/f9b0f63a)
- running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
- proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-66

2. netstat -nr (note: .136 is my network, and .137 is my gateway)
Destination - Gateway - Genmask
xxx.xxx.xxx.136 - 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.248
0.0.0.0 - xxx.xxx.xxx.137 - 0.0.0.0

3. /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx.xxx.xxx.138
netmask 255.255.255.248
gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.137
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!