1 nvidia p40 for VM and lxc possible?

goeste

Apr 17, 2023
Hi all,

I have successfully setup a p40 in my system and i can pass it to several VMs (via vGPU) - No issue here.

However, I now want to use the P40 as well for some LXC containers. Is that possible to have this scenario become a real story?
VM's and LXC have to run alongside an shall use the same GPU/vGPU.

If I now would install the "nomal" drivers on the host will my vgpu functionality be gone ? [That is what's needed for the lxc to acces the P40, correct? (+install of drivers inside container)]

Thanks for any help!
Best,
goeste

Last edited:
No one ever had this situation?!

Would it be a solution to add a 2nd GPU and use it dedicated for lxc passthrough? Is such a scenario even possible? 2 GPU 1 used for vGPU with VM and a 2nd GPU with "normal" drivers istalled for LXC?

Best, goeste

Would it be a solution to add a 2nd GPU and use it dedicated for lxc passthrough? Is such a scenario even possible? 2 GPU 1 used for vGPU with VM and a 2nd GPU with "normal" drivers istalled for LXC?
Unfortunately, I don't have a P40, yet I did a passthrough with other cuda-capable devices 1:1 to a container.

Unfortunately, I don't have a P40, yet I did a passthrough with other cuda-capable devices 1:1 to a container.
This might not be specific to a P40 but any NVIDA GPU with vGPU capabilities that are simply shared between LXCs and VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!