vmware

1. F

VDI solution for Proxmox?

I posted this over on /r/Proxmox as well. The organization I work at where I'm the Director of IT is heavily invested in VMware Horizon View - we have 14 Dell servers with dual EPYC CPUs and 3 datacenter class Nvidia GPUs with GRID vGPU licenses in each server. We host, on average, 200...
  2. J

CentOS VM won't boot after migration from VMware

Greetings! New Proxmox user here. Newly installed VMs are working fine and Debian VMs migrated from VMware ESXi 8.x are working well, but, I've having trouble migrating a couple of older CentOS VMs. The VMs were exported from the ESXi web client export option that creates OVF output. I've...
  3. bbgeek17

[TUTORIAL] Storage Controller Efficiency Data for Bandwidth-Constrained Workloads on Shared iSCSI Storage

Greetings everyone, Good news! We've managed to carve out some time to compile the latest data set for our ongoing exploration of Windows 2022 server on Proxmox. Part 3: Computational Efficiency of Storage Controller Configurations under Constrained Bandwidth Workloads Expanding upon the...
  4. M

[SOLVED] Has anyone ever migrated VMware APC ups VM to Proxmox?

Hi, APC VM is facing issues when I upload this to Proxmox. It starts with default settings, but ultimately it looks like it is not able to find the bootable drive. I used UEFI and disabled secure boot but no luck so far. Please suggest the configurations.
  5. W

Converting Proxmox VM to VMware Using "Move Storage" in GUI.

Hello all. After much searching it looks that the favored way to convert a Proxmox VM to VMware is the method of using qemu-img to convert it. As shown here: https://www.cinderblock.tech/p/migrating-proxmox-raw-lvm-to-vmdk-for-vmware/ If you use "Move Storage" in the GUI to convert to .vmdk do...
  6. bbgeek17

[TUTORIAL] Deep dive into Storage Controllers, Compatibility, and Efficiency Metrics with Windows on Proxmox

Hey everyone, Given the recent developments with VMware/Broadcom, we've noticed a surge in inquiries related to running Windows on Proxmox. To assist those transitioning away from VMware, we've thoroughly examined Windows Server 2022 storage controller compatibility, native driver support...
  7. K

Windows Server VM booting problem

Hi, I have a fresh install of proxmox ve in a host machine which I am using to test if I can migrate VMs from our VMWare community environment to PVE. I have migrated a 2012 server VM to pve using OVFTools (tutorial used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCEe4sfe_g ). After restoring the VM in...
  8. M

Migrate VMware VMs to Proxmox

Hi, We currently have VMware Vms and want to migrate our VMs to proxmox. What is the best way to achieve this?
  9. F

Start Ceph with Single Node to later create Cluster with 3 nodes

I'm not very used to Proxmox... But meeting the demands of my customers stating to undestanding it a bit. And I'm facing a problem that is almost like a chiken or egg matter. I will mention a hypothetical scenario here, but this is one that is very close to what I'm frequently seen on...
  10. F

Convert VM on ZFS to Vmware

Hi, This is my first post on this board. Please be nice to me. :) I have a single Proxmox server in my homelab with zfs. I want to convert a VM to VMware as a test. For ZFS I'm not sure which VM disk I need to convert. find / | grep vm-101-disk-0 - outputs...
  11. K

shell-based GUI Virtual Machine Conversion Tool

Hello All, Recently I've got a customer that was migrating from Xenserver to Proxmox, and he had multiple virtual machines to migrate. Since the amount of machine was quite big, and for the next future migrations the customer would like to move forward by himself, I've Developed a script with...
  12. S

Proxmox guest VMs under nested virtualization do not apply DHCPOFFER replies

I've read through dozens of similar posts, but none seem to relate to this specific issue, and it's a weird one. If I install Proxox 7.4VE as a guest VM under an existing VMware environment (on metal), the networking/DHCP/everything in VE works as expected. If I then install an Ubuntu guest VM...
  13. S

[SOLVED] Migration from vCenter 7 to Proxmox VE

Hi, i am trying to migrate my Exchange Server 2019 on Windows 2019 in a VM to my new Proxmox VE. I tried to follow the manual on your wiki. At first i tried to generate a ovf file: ovftool vi://root@x.x.x.x/exchange /mnt/pve/tempvms/exchange/ Transfer is successful. After that i tried do run...
  14. T

PROXMOX 7.3 Host always reboots on SNAPSHOT via VMWARE

We have installed a number of PROXMOX Hosts on our VSPHERE Center. On one System we encountered following problem: 1. VSPHERE on Bare Metal Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6342 CPU (48 Cores) 2. PROXMOX 7.3-3 (Linux 5.15.74-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.74-1) on Debian 11 3. Open-vmware-tools installed Debian /...
  15. RolandK

Ransomware threats/attacks to hypervisor platforms are real

not sure if this has been brought up here, but i cannot remember and it cannot do harm to re-post : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/massive-esxiargs-ransomware-attack-targets-vmware-esxi-servers-worldwide/ https://33hops.com/massive-esxi-ransomware-attack-2023.html...
  16. J

Add Proxmox server to VMWare

Hi, My first server had ESXI installed on it. Now I have a server with Proxmox. Usually i access my vm's with vmware workstation pro, there you can connect a remote server. Is there a way to connect the Proxmox server to vmware workstation with the "add remote server"? Or is there another way...
  17. P

[SOLVED] Does backup server handle esx vms?

The reason I'm asking is because I was sure I came across a post several months ago that said the backup server could also backup vms on esx hosts. I recently started looking for that but cannot find it anywhere now so I assume no but I thought I should ask here.
  18. bbgeek17

[TUTORIAL] Proxmox VE vs VMware ESXi performance comparison

Many discussions have compared Proxmox and VMware from a feature perspective, but almost none compare performance. We tested PVE 7.2 (kernel=5.15.53-1-pve) and VMware ESXi 7.0 (update 3c) with a 32 VM workload to see which performs better under load with storage-heavy applications. The results...
  19. enoch85

Nested VMware Worksation suuper slow!

Hi, I finally feel confident with my PVE setup. Backups are working fine with PBS over NFS, and all VMs are migrated from VMware ESXi since a few weeks back. In my previous setup with ESXi I ran a Windows 10 Pro VM with both Hyper-V and VMware Worksation nested. It worked great, and performance...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!