virtual machine

1. A

Share persistent host-directory to VM

Hi all! I'm new to Proxmox and I try to add a directory from the host (e. g. a directory on the system drive) as shared directory to the (Debian) VM. I want to use this as persistens config directory for Docker containers running inside the VM. If the VM crashes or I need to relaunch a new one...
  2. G

Any way to just show VM names?

Hello, newbie here. Excited to learn more about Proxmox. So! Hey, I get it, you guys are xNIX guys and you love to number things and "that's just the way it is." I get it, I do. But... My company is about to dump VMware due to all Broadcom's changes, but I'm sorry guys, there's no way in hell...
  3. G

LXC Pass devices

Hi Is it possible to pass a LXC container devices? A have a tv tuner card I would like to pass I saw something like this online lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:0 rwm lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:128 rwm Am I going down the wrong route? I wanted a container to save resources, however I...
  4. O

Seagate tools (Seatools) bootable install

Hello, my question is rearding installing seatools bootable in a vm and let it access/see HDD's. I have 2 zfs mirror pools where my vm's are installed, and one for the backups . i want to install seatools bootable but the problem is that it will only see the partition size i specify during the...
  5. ismokemysocks

Creating VMs and CTs brings down LAN and Internet connectivity

Hello, all. I am experiencing some issues with getting Proxmox to behave. First, some key points: I use a Unifi Dream Machine SE. The network is segmented into different VLANs. My desktop PC and my home server reside on the same subnet/VLAN (192.168.2.0). My home server has only one network...
  6. ismokemysocks

Creating VMs and LXC containers makes the host lose Internet connection

As the title states. I don't know why, but the PVE host loses connection to LAN and Internet... I have to physically go down to my home server, manually log in, kill the process and either wait a couple of minutes or reboot it (the latter one is not a must). I've followed some of the steps...
  7. O

Changed hdd size but Ubuntu vm not reporting proper sizes

Hello everyone, and im so happy to join such a great community. i created an ubuntu vm and assigned it a LVM disk for storage. on the initial setup i made a mistake and only assigned 850 gb, i copied all my files and then i found out i only have 30 gb left of storage. So i wanted to increase the...
  8. K

Ubuntu 20.04 vm - no DNS entry

Sorry for this noob question. I have a small proxmox dc with two hosts. I've deployed a new ubuntu 20.04 server based vm on one of the hosts. From that vm I'm able to ping *any* lxc-container and/or vm with their host and fqdn name - no problem here. These lxc:s and vm:s are also available...
  9. M

Proxmox dies when i try to install win11

Guys, please help me. When I try to install windows11 on my proxmox which is on virtualbox, I wait couple minutes when it says installing some components and when the installation is done my vm freezes and server crash. I tried bunch of different iso images but none of them work correctly. Does...
  10. E

VMID Assignment

Curious... Am I the only one who assigns their LXC/VMs to coincide with their IP. For example, I have 172.16.20.5, so I have a service LXC that's set as 2005. Or is this my OCD? :D
  11. H

Minor request on qm --memory setting

In my attempts to write a shell script to create VMs quickly I've got oneliners working fine i.e. # qm create 9999 --name vmtest --bios ovmf --efidisk0 data:0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1 --boot "order=net0;scsi0" --cores 1 --sockets 1 --cpu host --memory 2048 --net0 model=virtio,bridge=vmbr0...
  12. M

ASAP please, how can i downgrade proxmox 8 to 7

Hello can you guys please help me? When I start vm(debian) and try to install it, my cpu suddenly goes to 105% and my server crash. I am quite new to the proxmox and i don't understand it fully but i tried some things and none of it worked. last thing i wanted to try is to downgrade proxmox 8 to...
  13. C

[SOLVED] Move VM from a dead node to a second node

New to proxmox, I was trying to rename the initial node pve1; however, it disabled the initial node and created a new one, vm-dev. The VM (TrueNas) is still located on the dead node; I can’t seem to find any working tutorial that would help me. Any help would be appreciated! Also, I need a...
  14. M

[TUTORIAL] Windows 11 VM for gaming setup guide

I just finished migrating my Windows 11 gaming VM from Unraid to Proxmox. Along the way I encountered some obstacles. To hopefully save other people some time I'm writing a detailed guide here on how I set up my system. Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on this stuff. It is entirely...
  15. E

[SOLVED] strange ping times

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my Proxmox and don't know what to do. I would really appreciate some help. Problem 1: basically doesn't matter, I'm just listing it in case the problems (could) cause each other: When I want to shut down Proxmox, it shuts down the VMs and is no longer...
  16. T

Moving HDD from VM to container

I have a HDD mounted to a VM (Plex server). I would like to re-create my Plex server as a container. When I set up a bind mount, rather than seeing my two folders - media_library and MetaData, I see: dump images lost+found private snippets template. The HDD is a directory in ext4. Here is...
  17. S

Container vs full-vm

Hallo Zusammen, kann mir mal bitte jemand erklären, wie der Unterschied zwischen einem Container und einer VM mit voller Linux-Installation? oder anders herum gefragt: wann verwende ich einen Container und wann eine VM... ? Gruß
  18. P

Moving virtual HDD only to another node?

Hi everyone, I was adding another node to my cluster today (node 4), and during the process, node 1 decided to crash. This triggered the HA, and it began spinning the VM up on node 2. The HA migration failed, and the hard disk was never moved. On node 2, I see the VM and the config; and on node...
  19. R

IOS VM in Proxmox

Hallo Ist es möglich eine VM mit Apple ios zu erstellen den ich habe eine App die nur auf ios läuft. Ich habe auf dem Server schon mal MacOS installiert aber der Server ist dafür zu schwach. Bei nachfragen gerne Melden mfg Rubin
  20. T

Proxmox Ubuntu VM Hangs at load screen

I am re posting this as I hope to provide clarity to my issue. Randomly, my Ubuntu VM (Plex server) just hangs at the Ubuntu page. When I run smartctl -a on the drive with the VM, I get this. I am able to view the drive when I try to put a Ubuntu usb boot drive in and hit the "try" version. I...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!