vzdump

1. C

Issues with VZDump on LXC containers

Hey Everyone. First I hope whoever sees this has a good day :) We're having an issue with our PVE cluster (v8.1.2) and backing up LXC containers that are run on a ceph pool It seems that sporadically and without cause, the snapshot stage of our backup job just fails, leaving the container...
  2. A

Fast second layer backup using the --rsyncable key and rsync.

Hi! As we know, gzip (or pigz) launched by vzdump is always launched with the --rsyncable switch. By default. So we can use rsync to quickly back up a backup file to another network location. I wrote an example script of a subsystem called SLB - Second Level Backup. This works fine, but only...
  3. E

Trouble with vzdump/backups (especially windows)

My linux VMs back up fine, but the windows ones do not. I was using zstd and the backups kept freezing (I couldn't stop the process without restarting the node), so I am trying gzip now. This time, the process at least ends without hanging, but there are still errors on the windows VMs. I'm...
  4. T

vzdump with snapshot on BTRFS

While currently not supported I have patched the perl module for LXC. /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC.vm You may apply the patch via patch /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC.pm LXC.pm.patch This is the content of LXC.pm.patch: --- /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC.pm 2023-06-24 15:08:37.000000000 +0200 +++...
  5. R

[SOLVED] vzdump causing swap usage overtime

Hello, I'm currently facing a strange behavior while Proxmox executes backup(vzdump.) When Proxmox starts backup, it also uses swap space, even if there is free RAM, anyone has any idea why? swappiness already changed to 10. proxmox-ve: 7.1-1 (running kernel: 5.13.19-6-pve) pve-manager...
  6. B

[SOLVED] USB-Stick als VzDump einrichten

Hallo, ich möchte einen USB-Stick als Backuplaufwerk im PVE (v8.04) einrichten. Als root suche ich mir via <ls -la /dev/disk/by-id/> die UUID des Sticks heraus, und binde ihn via </etc/fstab> ein. Als Mountverzeichnis wähle ich z.B. </mnt/USBStick>. Danach <systemctl daemon-reload> und ich...
  7. P

6.2 to 6.4 update pvedaemon failure with pve-manager held back

In preparation of wanting to upgrade to version 7, I read in the upgrade notes that it was preferable to update to 6.4 before proceeding. Unfortunately, something has gone wrong during the update/upgrade from 6.2 to 6.4 and a few packages are being held back. Now I'm no longer able to access the...
  8. A

VZDump and S3 don't mix well

Hey, Straight to the point, the "move" operation at the end of VZDump kills it if the destination is S3 backend (for which move is actually copy&delete). Currently I'm using rclone to mount S3 bucket. Would it be possible to add a switch that would write backup directly to the destination...
  9. A

VM restore options - /var/tmp

Today I was moving some VM's manually between servers via backup&restore, and I noticed that my system copies the dump file all okay between servers, but when I start the restore process, it is really sluggish and my I/O wait time increases. This is more of an intro to my actual question, but...
  10. R

Read-only VM with stdout

Hi, I backup some VMs using SSH with vzdump redirecting to stdout, similar to the command below: ssh root@pve-server vzdump 100 --mode snapshot $VZDUMP_PARAMETERS --stdout > ${SERVER}_${NAME}_$(date +%Y-%m-%d).vma 2> >(tee -a ${SERVER}_${NAME}_$(date +%Y-%m-%d).log >&2) But I noticed that if...
  11. G

Backup VM to another Disk (ask for advice)

Hi, everyone. I am new Proxmox user. I have 2 Dell R740 servers. Both have 4x 4TB HDDs. I want to make 3 of them RAID 5, make 1 of the other server's VM backups, the other one in the same way and save its VM backups to the 1 HDD. Do you think this makes sense?
  12. K

[SOLVED] Determine if backup is run interactively vs scheduled

Within a vzdump hook script, how can I differentiate scheduled backups from those run interactively via the web UI? There doesn't appear to be anything in env I might use to do this.
  13. V

VM Backup does not shrink even after deleting large files

Hello community, I hope you are having a great time I have virtual machines with Windows Server 2022, the backups of the virtual machines were around 12GB. I did a test copying large files to the virtual machine and indeed the size of the backup file grew. I deleted them again and made the...
  14. Z

vzdump : Unknown option: –dumpdir

Hi, I'm trying to make a full backup of a VM to an usb drive, but somehow I'm getting an unexpected error about the parameters being used. So I've started by mounting the usb drive, setting an ext4 fs, mount it to /mnt/usb and creating the folder /mnt/usb/vm.backups where I'll be storing the...
  15. D

[SOLVED] Moving VZDumps to PBS datastore

I have recently setup PBS, but I would like to move my VZDumps to my PBS server. Is that possible? If so, how?
  16. I

[SOLVED] vzdump hang up with offline nfs storage

hi, if a storage was mounted with nfs and a backup is running, storage goes offline (power lost for exsample), vzdump is hang up, prozess can not be kill, not stop in web gui and not with kill -9 pid pve-manager/7.2-11/b76d3178 any ideas for fix or is a bug in main software for proxmox team...
  17. F

[SOLVED] vzdump as non-root user possible?

Hello, My ultimate goal is to vzdump a VM over SSH using a non-root user. I have searched and tried for some time now but did not manage to find a working solution. I have created a user named vzdumper via useradd and, for now, added him to the Administrator role. However, when I login with...
  18. S

Change storage name in vzdump

I am getting the following 'failed: storage 'backup' does not exist' error when trying to restore a vzdump from another server to my proxmox instance. Moved it from proxmox 6 to 7. All i want to know is how can i change the storage name in the VMA file from 'backup' to 'local-lvm'? I tried...
  19. Proxygen

VZDUMP ionice

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/about-of-ionice-in-vzdump.16485/#post-84954 would it be possible to get a conclusive and up to date answer on this, @dietmar /etc/vzdump.conf uses "ionice=8" and I see no ionice parameter in the process executing the backup. what I have is /bin/bash -c set...
  20. S

vzdump of VM or CT slow when stored on local-btrfs

Has anyone else seen or had issues with local-btrfs. I have tested with every setting I can find. When trying to backup a VM or container that is using local-btrfs. It is not usable. I am talking 8-128kib/s I have adjusted vzdump I have tried no compression. You name it. I move the VM or...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!