grub

1. A

Default Partitioning Question

When Proxmox is installed via the installer (UEFI with GRUB / secure boot) it creates three partitions by default. sda1 1007K Bios Parition sda2 512M EFI Parition sda3 Parition for the main data Is there a particular reason that proxmox only has a single joined EFI/Boot partition instead of...
  2. J

installation stuck in GRUB

Hi all. I'm new to Proxmox and I wanted to install it on my old DELL T610 server before installing it on one of my production environment servers (DELL T140). I followed the instructions on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Prepare_Installation_Media to setup the USB, but as I booted from it, it got...
  3. I

IOMMU: difference between "/etc/kernel/cmdline" and "/etc/default/grub"

I had a roadblock today and figured it out, but I want to understand the difference. I configured now three systems with iommu and pci-passthrough. Everytime appending intel_iommu=on at /etc/kernel/cmdline was enough. Those were on a: ASUS Prime Z590-P MSI MEG Z590 ACE ASUS B450M-K II MSI MEG...
  4. J

Rebooted Proxmox and getting grub screen with no information

Need help, new to proxmox as of about a week ago. Everything was good, was working for the last few hours to set up an ubuntu VM with a Cloudflare tunnel and Nextcloud. Converted my VM to a template, full cloned that template to a new VM. Before starting that VM I decided to restart my Proxmox...
  5. L

replace failed disk (raid 1)

I'm struggling with a replaced disk. Last time I had already issues doing this: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-boot-tool-status-shows-one-entry-in-raid1-system.136689/#post-610056 unfortunately this time again. One of the disks failed and I looked into the docs, the last forum post...
  6. S

Help switching to proxmox-boot-tool

Hi all, I am looking for some help moving to proxmox-boot-tool now finally, after upgrading my system from 6 to 7 and now 8 over the past week (oops). The system is using root on ZFS (mirrored pair of SSDs) and booting via legacy BIOS (I am pretty sure I have the motherboard set to BIOS boot...
  7. L

[SOLVED] Unable to install PVE from Debian 12 via official tutorial

Hi, I recently tried to reinstall the whole PVE system. After following the tutorial step by step, I always failed after installing the Proxmox VE kernel. Everytime I did systemctl reboot after that, it always stuck on grub command line. And when I ran linux /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-7-pve...
  8. 4

Grub Rescue

Hello. I need some help. After a failed disk of my proxmox installation, I managed to clone the disk to a new one, but unfortunately I can't boot. I am stuck at the grub rescue. I tried the proxmox grub rescue guide but when I try to mount the boot directory, In order to chroot the installation...
  9. W

[SOLVED] Move boot partition ZFS USB

Hello, What i am trying to achieve is this: I have a hp raid card (p420i) that does not allow booting from itself while in HBA mode, therefore i decided, i could try to move the boot partition to a usb drive and have all the drives directly in proxmox with zfs. However i am not sure if i am...
  10. L

proxmox-boot-tool status shows one entry in raid1 system

One of my disks (raid 1) had to be replaced. Following the docs, I could make the new disk work. A host system reboot also works BUT when I execute proxmox-boot-tool status, I get the following: proxmox-boot-tool status Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace...
  11. B

IOMMU Issues

Hello! Ive been trying go get IOMMU Groups and PCI-E pass through, mainly GPU, to properly work for quite a while on my new server hardware, my DMAR output looks like this. Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post, this has been a multiweek and multi-reinstall battle I haven't been...
  12. C

How to boot Proxmox PVE from degraded ZFS-RAID10 / grub rescue

Hello, we are using a old, mostly unused Proxmox server (HP ProLiant DL160 Gen8) as backup/fail-safe Hypervisor for our infrastructure production VMs. I boot up that server ever week and clone the storage of those VMs via "zfs send" to it. Now it seems that one disk is broken and it does not...
  13. A

[SOLVED] Proxmox uses GRUB instead of UEFI bootloader on UEFI compatible system

Greetings! As far as I know disabling CSM should lead to installation in UEFI mode, yet I am still seeing GRUB during boot. What's weird, that efibootmgr -v reports that Proxmox were booted in UEFI mode. root@atlantis:~# efibootmgr -v BootCurrent: 000C Timeout: 1 seconds BootOrder: 000C,0001...
  14. T

Changed Network Interfaces and Broke Host?

I'm really hoping I haven't destroyed my data with this screwup...Specs for the system are: Ryzen 7 3700x Asrock b550m-c 32gb ddr4-3200 LSI 9211-8i with IT firmware Intel X540-T2 -> This is the NIC i was trying to add before all of this went downhill Proxmox installed on 2 raidz1 1TB ssds...
  15. I

best approach to set mitigations=off cluster wide?

I use around 80% of the nodes in the cluster as a compute grid, i can freely disable the mitigation on them and gain some performance, what is the best approach? can it be done to a group of nodes (like based on name pattern) or it must be done one by one in grub ? do i need to do something...
  16. S

[SOLVED] Proxmox boot issue

Hello everyone, I had installed a new LSI 9207-8e a couple days ago and everything was pretty good. A number of reboots were done since the hardware install. The plan was to eventually pass it through to a VM. I had done some reading and found many saying that I should add...
  17. N

invalid arch-independent ELF magic

Hello, Any one know how to solve this ?
  18. R

Error Message "Booting from hard disk... error: no such partition.

I encountered this error while working with Proxmox and Ubuntu VM. Whenever I attempt to start my Ubuntu VM, I receive the following error message: "Booting from hard disk... error: no such partition. Entering rescue mode... grub rescue>" This issue started occurring after I attempted to...
  19. A

Migrating PVE server from grub (legacy BIOS mode) to UEFI

hi, i have a proxmox server installed years ago and upgraded from 4.x up to 7.3 currently. the server was installed in legacy bios mode. firmware upgrades are not supported in this mode, so i would like to migrate to uefi. it is a single node installation (home server) with a couple of VMs on...
  20. A

grub rescue after installation

Hi, today i tried to update my pbs. Without thinking i rebooted the server and for some reason something went wrong with grub and it always booted in grub rescue. After a few hours fixing it (didnt work) i decided to reinstall the whole pbs and loose all my backups. But for some reason its...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!