hang

1. A

Proxmox hang when stop/shutdown lxc-container after update host

I have repeatedly come across a situation in which updating the host (kernel and some other components) leads to the fact that when the container is stopped, the host freezes. Is it possible to solve this problem in some way, in addition to the method of first stopping all containers before...
  2. J

VMs hang or become unresponsive

I've searched through the forum and read numerous posts from others that have virtual machines that seem to rather randomly hang. I've tried the various suggestions (turning off ballooning, etc) and find that I still have a few VMs that just become unresponsive. Prior to switching to Proxmox...
  3. L

PVE 8.1 Stuck on 'loading initial ramdisk'

Please Help. Hello, very new to linux and proxmox, trying my hand with a home server, but having little joy. The problem at hand now is the PC hanging/no web GUI, but I will give a bit of background. I installed PVE 8.1 directly on a simple home PC (MSI Z690, i5-12600, 32gb ram, mellanox 10gbe...
  4. I

pvescheduler blocked for more than 1208 seconds

Hello! I’m new to self-hosting, and have been trying to setup proxmox on an old super micro server. It worked well for around a day or two, but soon realized that the system was becoming unresponsive. After looking at `dmesg`, I saw the following error but can’t seem to make any sense of...
  5. T

Proxmox(Debian) freeze installation

Hello, i wanted to install Proxmox but after installation and/or when i use the keys up und down in the installation menu it hangs completely. I succesfully installed it once, but after a few minutes i only see the login screen and at the serial console it hangs. For fun i tried to install...
  6. H

PVE: vmbr0 enters/leaves promiscuous mode repeatedly...server eventually becomes unresponsive

Hi Folks, Does anyone know what might be going on? I'm seeing vmbr0 flipping into and out of promiscuous mode, until, eventually (< 1 hour), the machine becomes completely unresponsive (even from the console) and I have to power cycle/reset the machine. Debugging is a bit challenging, since the...
  7. J

Server Proxmox freezes randomly

Good afternoon, I'm having issues with a Proxmox server that randomly freezes and requires manual reboot. Any ideas? Thanks Proxmox Version 8.0.3 PowerSupply = new Clean install with new disk ssd wd green Only one VM winserver2019 MotherBoard: GA-B250M-D3H *Dmesg Attached Before hung...
  8. T

Proxmox Hang & Needed to reboot after waiting for 1 hour of it not coming back

Hi, I am running proxmox with 2 1080 GPU and storage via NFS for vm disk and os via zfs My details of setup pve-manager/7.4-13/46c37d9c (running kernel: 5.15.74-1-pve) 24 x AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor (1 Socket) 48 GB DDR4 (NON-ECC) + 1TB NVME SAMSUNG SSD 2 x 1080 GPU ZFS for VM OS &...
  9. T

Colleting Logs/Troubleshooting a Server Hang

I'm running Proxmox VE on kernel proxmox 5.15.102-1-pve and I'm trying to troubleshoot the following problem: Every few days my Proxmox server will 'hang' and become unresponsive via Web (timeout) and SSH (key exchange errors). An Unraid and OpnSense VM will continue to function and be fully...
  10. K

Proxmox backup hangs pruning older backups

Hello, I have a problem when backing up to a ceph cluster of spinning disks. I have a cluster of 27 server-class nodes with 60 OSDs on a 10gig network. If I backup ~10 VM/CTs it works fine. Upping that number to ~20 the backup grinds to a halt (write bandwidth in the KB/s range) but...
  11. J

Move disk / volume hangs waiting on fuser command

FYI I run into the problem that moving a vm disk (volume) locally, hangs waiting on fuser process, which never exists. The disk was already copied and available on the target storage and also funcional after killing the fuser process. As a test calling fuser via commandline showed that the...
  12. J

[SOLVED] Won't boot after changed CPU from Intel to Ryzen 5 3600

Hi there, I am using proxmox previously on an Intel platform, with an Intel i7-3770 CPU, and everything was smooth. But since the CPU was broken, I have replace my system to a Ryzen build, with Ryzen 5 3600 and B550. When I try to boot from proxmox, I am stuck on a blank screen with text...
  13. P

Upgrade from 6 to 7 stuck at 93% - File descriptor leaked

Hi, I've been following the suggestions and steps from the Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0 wiki and, right now, I am stuck at 93% for more than an hour or so in the apt dist-upgrade execution. This is what the SSH screen shows now: Setting up libmath-random-isaac-perl (1.004-1.1) ... Setting up g++-10...
  14. T

Unprivileged LXC container eventually locks up PVE host processes

I am running 2 unprivileged LXC containers on a proxmox-ve 7.1-1 (running kernel: 5.13.19-3-pve). Both lxc's are running docker. The only "exotic" about it is using Fuse for the docker filesystem. The have nesting,keyctl,fuse,mknod =1. They run fine for hours, sometimes days, but after a while...
  15. K

[SOLVED] updated Proxmox on one host, caused havoc in the cluster

Hi there. We have 2 Proxmox clusters. I updated packages on one cluster with no problems. Then I started updating packages on the 2nd cluster, and after I upgraded the 1st node, the whole cluster went berserk. Initially, some of the nodes appeared up, some down, and some with a "?", even...
  16. K

upgrade to kernel 5.13.19-4-pve problems

Hello... I did a package upgrade yesterday 2/6/22 (including kernel update to 5.13.19-4-pve) and it's consistently hanging about 20-30 minutes after boot. Symptoms include: - unresponsive console, does not respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del or ACPI Shutdown. - "qm list" hanging. Some VMs hanging. LXC...
  17. V

Guest hangs when halt / shutdown issued (OpenMediaVault 5.x)?

Attempting to halt an OpenMediaVault 5 guest running on Proxmox 7, but the guest vm seems to hang after issuing halt directly on the guest. When on PVE I see, qm list: VMID NAME STATUS MEM(MB) BOOTDISK(GB) PID 111 OpenMediaVault running 24000...
  18. S

Network stops and starts "randomly"

One of my Proxmox hosts randomly loses network for 5-6 seconds at what appears to be random points throughout the day. I am usually using VMs via RDP, and they either pause or disconnect. While investigating the issue I've noticed both pings to and from the host also stop, so it seems to be a...
  19. L

Proxmox import ovf hangs at 100%

Hello, i freshly installes my Proxmox. Now i wanted to move my ESX VM's to Proxmox (was alerady working with other Proxmos Hosts). I transfer the .vmdk and .ovf to Proxmox. Than started the qm importovf....., thats starting and working until it reaches 100%. At 100% my complete Proxmox hangs...
  20. D

[SOLVED] Kernel 5.3.18-3 - No boot - loading initial ramdisk hang

Hello, after months i had to do a PVE reboot yesterday. All updates was installed, kernel 5.3.18-3 as well. But kernel 5.3.18-2 was still running. On reboot, machine hang by "loading inital ramdisk". I try starting several times (also with 10 minutes waiting). By manual selecting 5.3.18-2...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!