kernel

1. A

Proxmox hang when stop/shutdown lxc-container after update host

I have repeatedly come across a situation in which updating the host (kernel and some other components) leads to the fact that when the container is stopped, the host freezes. Is it possible to solve this problem in some way, in addition to the method of first stopping all containers before...
  2. D

Random USB NIC Disconnects (TP-LINK UE306 AX88179)

Hey! So I'm really out of luck with this and have to ask for help because I might go crazy. We've recently had to add a couple of USB NICs to our cluster to be able to migrate our OPNSense Firewall VM, as we don't have managed switches or the budget for more dedicated network hardware, and have...
  3. X

Loading initial ramdisk hängt

Hallo, auf einem Debian 12 wurde laut der Anleitung (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_12_Bookworm) der PVE-Kernel mit 'apt install proxmox-default-kernel' installiert. Nach dem Booten bleibt der Server bei 'Loading initial ramdisk' hängen. Der Server lässt sich mit dem...
  4. J

Kernel booting issues

Hi, Why is the systemd boot not set as default ? I see these entries : root@pve1:~# grep 'menuentry ' /boot/grub/grub.cfg | cut -f 2 -d "'" | nl -v 0 0 Proxmox VE GNU/Linux 1 Proxmox VE GNU/Linux, with Linux 6.5.11-8-pve 2 Proxmox VE GNU/Linux, with Linux 6.5.11-8-pve...
  5. C

Network-related kernel panics in FreeBSD guest after PVE 8 upgrade

I have a PVE setup with a TrueNAS (FreeBSD-based) file server as a KVM guest. It is configured with a separate network interface (virtio) used for an NFS share between it and the Proxmox host, as well as one for the local network. This provides storage for some other containers and as a backup...
  6. J

Kernel crashes randomly when passthru 7840HS iGPU to win11 guest

Hi there, I have a 7840HS machine and installed PVE 8.1 latest with the kernel 6.5.11-8-pve. But every time the windows guest boots, the host will crash and reboot randomly. I can't get more information cause when I enabling `kdump-tools`, it will crash definitely and even don't reboot thus I...
  7. M

[SOLVED] Proxmox 8.1 but install old kernel

I have installed last proxmox version (8.1), but.... pveversion -v proxmox-ve: 8.1.0 (running kernel: 4.4.35-1-pve) pve-manager: 8.1.3 (running version: 8.1.3/b46aac3b42da5d15) proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.0.9 proxmox-kernel-6.5.11-4-pve-signed: 6.5.11-4 proxmox-kernel-6.5: 6.5.11-4 ceph-fuse...
  8. D

Windows 11 VM Doesn't Cleanly Shut Down

Hello all, My Hardware: Proxmox 8.1.3 Motherboard - Asrock Rack Rome8d-2t CPU - Epyc 7F72 RAM - 256GB 3200MHZ ECC GPU - RTX-3080ti - passed through to Windows (tried a 2070 Super and a 2080 Super) OS Drive - Samsung 980 Pro 500GB VM OS Drives - ZFS Mirror 2x960GB Samsung P9A3 Windows VM Game...
  9. M

ASAP please, how can i downgrade proxmox 8 to 7

Hello can you guys please help me? When I start vm(debian) and try to install it, my cpu suddenly goes to 105% and my server crash. I am quite new to the proxmox and i don't understand it fully but i tried some things and none of it worked. last thing i wanted to try is to downgrade proxmox 8 to...
  10. L

[SOLVED] Unable to install PVE from Debian 12 via official tutorial

Hi, I recently tried to reinstall the whole PVE system. After following the tutorial step by step, I always failed after installing the Proxmox VE kernel. Everytime I did systemctl reboot after that, it always stuck on grub command line. And when I ran linux /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-7-pve...
  11. V

Suggestion - Add old kernel cleanup from GUI

It would be good to delete old kernels from GUI. Now i run a apt-get autoremove from command line and delete almost 7 Gb old kernel files! I forget to check it, because every function that i use is avaliable via GUI.
  12. J

build kernel not working

What i m doing wrong? make test -f "submodules/ubuntu-kernel/README" || git submodule update --init submodules/ubuntu-kernel test -f "submodules/zfsonlinux/Makefile" || git submodule update --init --recursive submodules/zfsonlinux rm -rf proxmox-kernel-6.5.11/modules/pkg-zfs...
  13. E

What is the primary reason for Ubuntu-based kernels?

It seems that PVE started to use Ubuntu based kernels since Xenial. It is not hidden, but it is not explained as a choice either (at least where I searched). 1. What are the reasons (in order of importance) for this? Hardware support? Feature-set? Security? Something else? 2. What will I break...
  14. P

Will Proxmox switch to kernel 6.6.x for PVE 8.1?

This morning, I got kernel 6.6.2 as an update on a Fedora 39 desktop machine for the first time. This made me wonder, whether Proxmox will switch to kernel 6.6 for PVE 8.1 anytime soon?! Because, 6.6 kernel series is officially a LTS series that will be maintained by the upstream kernel...
  15. S

Hardware ID's Changing, Causing LXC's to have wrong passthrough configuration

Hi All, I've noticed that every time I upgrade my kernel to the latest prod PVE version the ID's on my NVIDIA cards change. I have to alter the configuration file for the LXC's that use video cards manually every time after a ls /dev/nvidia* and ls /dev/dri* to match the changes. Is there a...
  16. J

Compile linux kernel?

I'm using 2 years proxmox as mainsystem and my Windows as Main VM for work or Gaming. I'm new to this Forum. Question 1: I have been trying to compile a Linux kernel for a long time now, but unfortunately, I am unable to do so. One of the problems is that when I try to make submodules, it asks...
  17. mir

pve 8.0 and 8.1 hangs on boot

Hi all, Serious problem with proxmox-kernel-6.2 (proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-19-pve) and proxmox-kernel-6.5 (proxmox-kernel-6.5.11-4-pve-signed) previous kernels proxmox-kernel-6.1 and the one I currently boots on pve-kernel-5.15.126-1-pve works as expected. The symptom is that when boot sequence...
  18. V

task apache2 blocked for more than xyz seconds

Hallo zusammen, auf einem von mehreren webservern bekomme ich diese Fehlermeldung: task apache2 blocked for more than 120 seconds Der Webserver war vorher ein Ubuntu Server und ist jetzt ein neu installiertes Debian 12. Der Webserver war vorher auf der einen Node, jetzt auf einer anderen Node...
  19. W

[SOLVED] Proxmox Hangs on Pre-Installation Boot Screen when Installing on Debian Bookworm (Proxmox 8.0)

Hello all, I have an issue with installing a fresh instance of Proxmox 8 (latest as of October 25). I am able to install plain Debian or Ubuntu without any issues, but unable to complete installation of Proxmox 8 on top of Debian. I am following the instructions from the official Proxmox wiki...
  20. N

Kernel Bug? -kernel BUG at fs/inode.c:611!

I have had problems with Linux crashing, and I have enabled crashdump. Especially one line in the logged dmesg I found interesting: [ 8906.236858] kernel BUG at fs/inode.c:611! Does this mean a kernel bug, or can it be something else? I also have a full dump, but I don't really know how to use...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!