windows

1. bbgeek17

[TUTORIAL] Deep dive into Storage Controllers and Performance of Windows on Proxmox - Continued

Hello All, Here's another technote in the Windows on Proxmox series. In Part 4, we quantify and compare IOPS, bandwidth, and latency across all storage controllers and AIO modes under ideal conditions (i.e., "unloaded"), utilizing Windows 2022 running on Proxmox with iSCSI shared block storage...
  2. U

MSSQL Instanzen frieren ein

Hallo, wir haben mehrere MSSQL-Instanzen, die sporadisch und nicht reproduzierbar immer mal wieder einfrieren. Per VNC kann dann noch die Maus bewegt werden. - Die Serverzeit bleibt stehen - Kein Login (STRG+ALT+ENT) möglich - Keine Logs in der VM werden geschrieben - Egal ob lokaler ZFS oder...
  3. S

Guest disk cache policy

I'm testing disk performance in Windows and after reading the Windows best practices and performance tweaks articles, I didn't find much said about how disk cache setting inside the guest relates to the vm settings in Proxmox. If running a production workload inside the vm it feels wise to set...
  4. A

[SOLVED] Problem ram allocation on VM

I've all win machine on my istance affected by memory allocation issue. I read a lot of post/page but I can't found a root cause of this issue. This machine is configured with and from console I see this status inside of win machine I can see that all ram it used by Driver Locked (Balloon...
  5. bbgeek17

[TUTORIAL] Storage Controller Efficiency Data for Bandwidth-Constrained Workloads on Shared iSCSI Storage

Greetings everyone, Good news! We've managed to carve out some time to compile the latest data set for our ongoing exploration of Windows 2022 server on Proxmox. Part 3: Computational Efficiency of Storage Controller Configurations under Constrained Bandwidth Workloads Expanding upon the...
  6. B

Can't reboot on my Windows

I have installed proxmox on my usb driver After the installation, i went to my bios to choose my windows on my boot order to be able to go back and try my proxmox But when i try to go to my windows boot, i have a big blue screen with "boot option restoration" and when i dont touch anything, the...
  7. bbgeek17

[TUTORIAL] Deep dive into Storage Controllers, Compatibility, and Efficiency Metrics with Windows on Proxmox

Hey everyone, Given the recent developments with VMware/Broadcom, we've noticed a surge in inquiries related to running Windows on Proxmox. To assist those transitioning away from VMware, we've thoroughly examined Windows Server 2022 storage controller compatibility, native driver support...
  8. A

[TUTORIAL] Windows VM Performance and Softlocking in Nintendo Switch Emulation - fixed with +invtsc

This is an issue that I've actually already solved, but because it took me so much time and effort to isolate the cause, I wanted to document the problem in a few places so that if anyone else experiences a similar issue it can hopefully save them a lot of stress. Among other things, my Proxmox...
  9. H

When I start my windows and linux vms at the same time I get corruption

Hi!, I am not really sure it's data corruption but it just seems like it. So, I have 2 vms that have separate GPUs assigned to them. When I start both of them, the one vm freezes for a bit and then it starts working again, but after I turn off the pc and boot it up again I get fsck on the screen...
  10. D

Windows 11 VM Doesn't Cleanly Shut Down

Hello all, My Hardware: Proxmox 8.1.3 Motherboard - Asrock Rack Rome8d-2t CPU - Epyc 7F72 RAM - 256GB 3200MHZ ECC GPU - RTX-3080ti - passed through to Windows (tried a 2070 Super and a 2080 Super) OS Drive - Samsung 980 Pro 500GB VM OS Drives - ZFS Mirror 2x960GB Samsung P9A3 Windows VM Game...
  11. S

Configuring Windows Mapped Network Drive inside VM

Hi all, I have an issue with an hhd physically forwarded to a Windows VM on my node. Previously, I had the drive installed on a non-VM Windows computer and could map it just fine to my other windows machine. However, with the drive in the VM, my other Windows machine cannot map to the drive...
  12. P

perfDHCP , odd issue

not a proxmox issue,just a general dhcp issue. Running a windows DC with dhcp, experiencing dhcp issues, clients not getting Ips taking long time etc. ran perfDHCP against the server and this is the result Running: perfdhcp -x i -t 2 -r 10 -R 100 10.a.b.c Scenario: basic. Multi-thread mode...
  13. J

Boot same Windows on real hardware and in VM

Hi. Thanks for the great product. I run a Proxmox server, some times I'd like to play games on the same machine. So I installed a real Windows on it. 1) /dev/sda: EFI and LVM partitions for Proxmox-on-Debian. Windows EFI bootloader resides here too (as I see it mounted at /boot/EFI. GRUB has...
  14. S

windows server - network load balancing manager

Hello, we migrated two physical Windows servers 2016 to proxmox. We have used Network Load Balancing that was working really well on those physical windows nodes. Since we migrated those two Windows servers 2016 to Proxmox our load balancing is not working any more. We tried to switch from...
  15. V

Very slow performance in VMs

Hello everyone! I'm no storage expert but I do observe some subpar disk performance on Windows (I have some linux I can test as well but I didn't notice anything while using them). We use ZFS and we disabled balloon and tablet following https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Performance_Tweaks Here is...
  16. X

iGPU passthrough not working for Windows, but working for Linux

Hi everyone, I tried running Proxmox on a laptop and it seems to be working great, except for the iGPU passthrough for Windows. I took a look at the following documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI_Passthrough This documentation seems to be working fine for Ubuntu but not in any shape...
  17. S

Migration of Windows Server 2008 R2 to proxmox gives BSOD

Hello, I am new to proxmox and wanted to migrate my physical server running Win 2008 R2 to proxmox. I converted the C:\ drive using disk2vhd, then converted the vhdx file to qcow2, via qemu in proxmox. My physical server is connected with raid, but I assumed that wouldn't be a problem. I have...
  18. F

Backup script hook missing events?

Dear all, im running pve 7.4 in a 6 node ceph cluster and active ha manager. We are currently running nightly backups. My goal is to stop specific services on a windows guest vm during the fs-freeze command which is called during snapshot backup to prevent database corruption. As we have the...
  19. O

Passthrough nvme - issue?

Hey there, I've got a few questions / issues regarding a nvme ssd passed through in a VM. The server has 2 nvmes - one as LVM storage for VM disks, another (Seagate BarraCuda Q5 ZP10000CV30001) passed in a VM. The VM is Windows 11, installed directly onto that nvme as ovmf Q35 ***without*** an...
  20. C

Bester CPU Typ für Windows VMs in Proxmox

Guten Nachmittag zusammen, ich habe einen Dell T20 mit Xeon 1225 V3 auf diesem ich Proxmox installiert habe. Soweit funktioniert auch alles gut. Mein Hauptverwendungszweck sind virtuelle Maschinen mit Windows 10 und 11. Ich hatte jetzt ein bisschen getestet bezüglich der Einstellungen für die...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!