configuration

1. O

Seagate tools (Seatools) bootable install

Hello, my question is rearding installing seatools bootable in a vm and let it access/see HDD's. I have 2 zfs mirror pools where my vm's are installed, and one for the backups . i want to install seatools bootable but the problem is that it will only see the partition size i specify during the...
  2. O

Missing .conf files from old installation

Hello all, I've recently (as in 2 days ago) switched motherboards since my last one seems to have been destroying HDDs. I had a perfectly working Proxmox 7 installation with a desktop and everything. Now, that installation won't boot on my new motherboard (it gets stuck at "Loading initial...
  3. P

pfSense VLAN Setup - Help!

So i found this online: and wanted to replicate it in order to host my own webservers and stuff. so i spent a VERY long time setting up my pfSense VLANS and then spent very long time figuring out how to get console access to my procurve 2510g (i didnt know i had to press enter twice)...
  4. I

Ceph SSD disk performance Kingston vs Samsung

Hello, I have 3 servers later planning to add 3 nodes more. Lenovo sr570 CPU: 2x Xeon Silver 4208 2.1ghz 8c 16t OS: 2x sata 480gb m.2 ssd mirroring kit Network: 4x10GBase-T 2x lacp for frontend and cluster and 2x Lacp for ceph cluster and public every where will be individual Vlan. Switch: 2x...
  5. A

Ldap authentication

Hi, How to configure ldap certificate-based authentication? Could not found in doc. Some fields are different from proxmox ve ldap configuration. For example cert directive. Example from pve ldap: name base_dn dc=example,dc=com server1 ldap.google.com user_attr uid cert...
  6. S

Hardware ID's Changing, Causing LXC's to have wrong passthrough configuration

Hi All, I've noticed that every time I upgrade my kernel to the latest prod PVE version the ID's on my NVIDIA cards change. I have to alter the configuration file for the LXC's that use video cards manually every time after a ls /dev/nvidia* and ls /dev/dri* to match the changes. Is there a...
  7. C

Configuring VM - single or multiple sockets?

Hi, I was just wondering if there is any particular benefit in configuring a VM to use multiple sockets, e.g. 2 sockets, 5 cores, vs assigning it 1 socket, 10 cores? I'm running some benchmarks trying to squeeze as much performance as I can and it seems that 1 socket, 10 cores is a little more...
  8. B

[SOLVED] proxmox-backup-client environment variables _FILE

Hi I'm trying to use: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#environment-variables PBS_PASSWORD_FILE=/etc/proxmox/filename1 PBS_ENCRYPTION_PASSWORD_FILE=/etc/proxmox/filename2 Contents of filename1 would be "ActualPassword" (no quotes) But as soon as I run the client i get prompted...
  9. Y

Performance Testing

Greetings my friends. I wish you a good ending of the week. I have this particular question on my mind it's been a while now. On my laptop, I run a Python code that takes about 30 seconds to compile and run. My objective is to run the same code on a cluster of 3 nodes and determine how much...
  10. S

spindown HDDs, hdparm.conf settings are not applied when Proxmox reboot

I've installed a new homelab server with Proxmox 8.0.4 that has a few SSDs and 4 HDDs(zfs raidz). As the HDDs are primarily used for backups and data that's sporadically accessed I want the HDDs to spindown after 10mins of idle. The settings I'm using in hdparm.conf are not applied when I...
  11. D

deny NIC to VM

Hi all, I'm entirely new to Proxmox VE and I am looking to see if it can help me to solve a problem. I want to set up a Proxmoxe VE cluster on three servers, each server has multiple NICs but we use 2: NIC1 is connected to WAN and NIC2 is connected to local LAN. LAN and WAN are not connected...
  12. M

Proxmox 8 config files only read-only

I'm facing the following issue on pve-manager/8.0.4/d258a813cfa6b390 (running kernel: 6.2.16-8-pve) that i can't edit files in /etc/pve due of permisson errors. root has only read-only rights on this config files. But i has to edit those files as root, due of issues with the otp auth...
  13. N

Unattended-Upgrades for Proxmox Host (Security + PVE-Updates)

Hello everyone, I was trying to find the recommended way of configuring Unattended-Upgrades on my Proxmox-Hosts, but was not able to find conclusive Results... I was trying to get 2 different Configurations to work, installing the following Updates automatically: Test PVE-Node: Debian...
  14. M

[SOLVED] Configuration issue: Mail for [host]:25 loops back to myself

Hi, I am struggling for a couple of hours with my second PMG installation and I am encountering an error while testing inbound mail. Here is what I am getting in return to the sender's mailbox: and here is what I am getting in the Tracking Center: Here is my PMG relay configuration: My...
  15. U

can't access with hostname after expanding drive

Hi everyone, a while ago I switched from a 500GB SSD to a 2TB SSD and expanded the drive and both local and local_lvm. In this process I must have broken something because since then I can't reach Proxmox with it's hostname. The only way is through IP (which didn't change) or with the hostname...
  16. S

Difficulty with OOM / CGroups

Hi All, Coming from 20 years as a professional in Windows (2 years of hands-on Linux) I'm having issues with fully grasping cgroups. I recently upgraded my server cluster and am I encountering OOM kills regularly (a few times per day). I have a single cgroup (just out-of-the-box config). My...
  17. W

[SOLVED] Who should run ZFS volume: Proxmox or virtual file server ?

Hi all, I am currently planing to virtualize my private/personal OpenMediaVault server (OMV) as I plan to run more (virtual) servers in the future. Currently, OMV is installed on a single SDD (with regular backups, I might add redundancy in the future) and runs a ZFS pool on "traditional" hard...
  18. habitats-tech

[TUTORIAL] If you are new to PVE, read this first; it might assist you with choices as you start your journey

I have created this post with the hope it can assist newcomers, and not only, with decision making. This post uses acronyms and is a preamble to a full set of articles which are best viewed on my portal, as I provide full online glossary, links, graphics and easy to follow instructions. In any...
  19. D

Between Proxmox, OPNSense configuration

There are 4 Ethernet port on my PC, port1 is the Proxmox VE console page, port2 idle. port3 and port4 for OPNSense. OPNsense uses port3 LAN, port4 WAN. The LAN is connected to the WiFi router, and all the WiFi devices able to access the internet. The problem is that only Proxmox VE cannot...
  20. K

Proxmox / GlusterFS - Volume configuration

Hello everybody, First of all, a big thank you to the Proxmox developer community. I have been using Proxmox for several years now with GlusterFS and it works perfectly.Exactly, I'm using a Proxmox cluster of 3 Proxmox servers with a GlusterFS cluster for identical storage on each Proxmox...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!