performance

1. I

Ceph configuration - best practices

Long story short... not possible. I'm planning to install and use ceph and HA in my working cluster enviroment. I have 4 nodes with 256GB RAM each and 2x10G NICs dedicated for ceph cluster network traffic. I already know this may be not enough for perfect performance so I'm planning to swap NICs...
  2. M

VM Performance Issue While Clone and Restore

we are facing an issue and are not sure how to troubleshoot or find the exact reason behind it while we attempted to clone any VM or try to restore a backup from PBS we noticed the other VMs would get affected and not function properly like hanging for sometime already i tried to make the VM...
  3. P

[SOLVED] Sync performance when using IP server instead of FQDN?

According the PBS manual, HTTP/2 is used for transfer data. Does this work when using IP server for remote sync or for FDQN? Or is a FQDN a requirement for HTTP/2?
  4. M

Lessons learned about using NFS shared storage in a ProxMox environment (w/ Synology?)

It's possible some of the following is specific to my environment... but having read a ton of threads to solve my issues, I suspect these are more general insights gained. NFS has had serious reliability problems when it comes to rebuilding broken links... until version 4.1 Before that...
  5. I

Ceph SSD disk performance Kingston vs Samsung

Hello, I have 3 servers later planning to add 3 nodes more. Lenovo sr570 CPU: 2x Xeon Silver 4208 2.1ghz 8c 16t OS: 2x sata 480gb m.2 ssd mirroring kit Network: 4x10GBase-T 2x lacp for frontend and cluster and 2x Lacp for ceph cluster and public every where will be individual Vlan. Switch: 2x...
  6. E

Yet another "ZFS on HW-RAID" Thread (with benchmarks)

Hi, I would like to talk about a topic already discussed hundreds of times here on the forum, but in slightly more scientific and practical terms: ZFS on top of Hardware RAID Introduction I already know all the warnings regarding this configuration, but since in most cases the references...
  7. R

performance of reconstitution of a raid5

Hello, I did a raid5 then I changed a gradient so I wanted to know how I could see the reconstruction performance of my raid5
  8. S

Proxmox 8.0 Tuning and best practices for production/colocated servers.

Started reading every Wiki page and a bunch of forum posts.. but the "best practices" for a stable production server are a little vague. Does anybody have any recommendations for setting for sysctl? network? Kernel tweaks? or Do I need to pay somebody for this kind of detail? and support? Is...
  9. K

decent hardware(enterprise), but vm windows still feels a bit slugish? - how to verify proper performance?

Hi all, i'm all to new proxmox so bare with me with my very limited knowlegde. I have recently installed proxmox 8 on my server dell r730 cpu: 2x 2680v4 xeon (14 core/28 threads each) 320gb ecc ram root disk, 1 disk zfs - Intel D3-S4610 Series - model: SSDSC2KG480G8 ( purely for proxmox ) 1x...
  10. Y

Performance Testing

Greetings my friends. I wish you a good ending of the week. I have this particular question on my mind it's been a while now. On my laptop, I run a Python code that takes about 30 seconds to compile and run. My objective is to run the same code on a cluster of 3 nodes and determine how much...
  11. J

Spotty Disk Performance with NFS Share

Running a ProxmoxVE cluster with multiple Ubuntu VMs with the disks hosted on a TrueNAS NFS share. Occasionally one or more of the VMs will experience drastically reduced disk performance and I'm having a hard time pinpointing the cause. pve-manager/7.4-3/9002ab8a (running kernel...
  12. R

proxmox NUMA static configuration support

I am struggling to fully understand everything about NUMA, however I feel like I've got a decent understanding of how proxmox is handling it, as I've run many configuration tests over the last few days trying to solve my performance issues. I have a AMD EPYC 7551p (zen 1 architecture, 7001...
  13. T

Direct USB passthrough is slow, but using SPICE is fast

Hello, I want to pass a USB device to a VM (namely a USB TV tuner for a TV server). When I do it directly by adding a USB device to the VM with the vendor/device ID, it seems as if the device is sometimes slow to respond. However, when I add a SPICE USB channel, change the display to SPICE...
  14. U

ESXi->Proxmox, 1G->10G Planning

Hi, i want to migrate from ESXi (Essentials) to Proxmox and while there i'm thinking about switching to 10G for the main cluster. Reasons: - replication/migration for Proxmox goes faster (only needed for 2-4 VMs right now) - i use CARP for failover alot, so there are machines running on both...
  15. L

Optimizing Guest CPU Performance

Running a WIn10 guest with successful GPU passthrough, performance on that front seems decent. But I can't say the same for the CPU. Pretty disappointing, this is what the bare metal results for the host's CPU should be near for Single Thread score: CPU Test Suite Average Results for...
  16. N

[SOLVED] Single connections to VMs limited to 10mbps, but multi-threaded iperf gets the full bandwidth

pveversion: # pveversion --verbose proxmox-ve: 7.4-1 (running kernel: 5.15.107-1-pve) pve-manager: 7.4-3 (running version: 7.4-3/9002ab8a) pve-kernel-5.15: 7.4-2 pve-kernel-5.15.107-1-pve: 5.15.107-1 pve-kernel-5.15.104-1-pve: 5.15.104-2 ceph-fuse: 14.2.21-1 corosync: 3.1.7-pve1 criu...
  17. bbgeek17

[TUTORIAL] Proxmox: iSCSI and NVMe/TCP shared storage comparison

Hello Everyone. We received excellent feedback from the previous storage performance investigations, particularly the technotes on optimal disk configuration settings (i.e., aio native, io_uring, and iothreads) and the deep dive into optimizing guest storage latency. Several community members...
  18. A

Webserver VMs with HTTPS loading incredibly slow

I'm moving from Windows Hyper-V to Proxmox and was excited, but I'm noticing that the websites hosted by these VMs (running Ubuntu Jammy) are loading incredibly slow. So much so that often on the first page load, I get an error 522 from Cloudflare (the sites are proxied through them) and then if...
  19. B

VM with physical disk attached. Much slower than physical machine...

Hi, For a migration, I have created a VM as described in https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices Than I have attached a physical SSD-disk and configured passtrough, according to https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM) qm set 114 -scsi2...
  20. bbgeek17

[TUTORIAL] Low latency storage optimizations for Proxmox, KVM & QEMU

Several customers have asked us how to get the best possible storage latency out of Proxmox and QEMU (without sacrificing consistency or durability). Typically, the goal is to maximize database performance and improve benchmark results when moving from VMware to Proxmox. In these cases...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!