kvm

1. D

How to differentiate between KVM CPU models and select appropiately?

We've recently discovered the performance improvements for choosing a CPU model which most closely matches our cluster. I want to work out the best way to determine the correct 'lowest' cpu model for the cluster. We have both: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU and Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6330N CPU...
  2. E

How to import a raw Image to Proxmox to use it as a template

Hello there, I have some raw template images (e.g. debian11.img) I want to import to my Proxmox VE instance to use them as templates to create KVMs. I use a ZFS volume, local-zfs. When I searched the web, I found this thread from 2015...
  3. I

[SOLVED] Unable to get Virtualisation working

Hi, I have just made a fresh install of proxmox (8.1.3) and I am trying to get virtualization up for my truenas vm. I have an intel cpu and have virtualization enabled in the bios. From installation I have been having this error. When I ran the installer I got the error "No support for...
  4. Q

Windows Server 2019 KVM Credentials Guard Bug

Hello everyone, For a month and a half I have been looking for a bug that does not allow the September, October (KB5031361) and subsequent updates to be installed on Windows Server 2019, the updates are installed during operation, the machine is restarted so that the Windows update progress...
  5. D

PVE8 - Change to IOMMU/Passthrough?

Recently upgraded from PMX7 (Proxmox Version 7 or PVE7) to PMX8 (Proxmox Version 8 or PVE8), and I noticed the passthrough doesn't seem to work the same way in the UI it used to. <= PVE7, the way you knew IOMMU/etc wasn't working is that in the UI, the "MAPPED DEVICES" dropdown would be empty...
  6. J

Time synchronisation between PVE node/host and VM/guest without access to the Internet

Hey everyone! As far as I understand, my Proxmox 7 cluster, installed on top of a Debian 11 Bullseye, uses systemd-timesyncd to keep the clock in sync via external NTP servers, configured either in /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf or in a separate file inside /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf.d/. All of...
  7. F

[SOLVED] Any one tried installing Whonix on Proxmox??

Hi, I was thinking to check out the WHONIX on proxmox. They have a KVM install. I was wondering if anyone already has tried setting it up and if there are any tips on setting it up? Cheers
  8. enoch85

Nested Hyper-V (Windows 10) with KVM?

Hi, Been debugging why my Windows 10 machine (VM) is so darn slow. Found this, and it solved the issue. So far so good - until I tried to run a VM in Hyper-V on that same Windows 10 guest. Turns out you need to use host and not any of the other CPU types. It was absolutely flying on...
  9. M

Load balancing virtual machines

My Proxmox host has multiple NICs and I can make changes to the physical networking if required. I have used VmWare earlier but I am new to Proxmox & KVM, thus also challenged with the virtual networking in this environment. Here's what I am trying to achieve: Setup 2 virtual machines, both...
  10. K

[SOLVED] Change CPU Win11

Hi, I have to change the CPU on my win11 vm due to the installation of Photoshop 24.4.1. Photoshop requires SSE 4.2. My current CPU type is kvm64. I tried "host" which leads to the Windows bluescreen. Does anybody know ablout this problem and how to fix it?
  11. F

How find KVM version

Hi, I am trying to download Nvidia vgpu drivers. There are quite a few available for different Linux KVM versions. How to find out KVM version for proxmox so that I could download the right versions for my proxmox? Thanks
  12. H

VM templates? ISO repository?

Hello, there is already user-friendly system for downloading and deployment of CT templates. Why don't we have such thing for VMs as well? I can imagine two levels of this. 1.) Some list of commonly used ISOs that proxmox would allow me to dowload without having to lookup the URL. (eg. Debian...
  13. J

can a VM be restored from a .qcow2 disk image?

Hello, I had a problem with my managed VPS provider, the data was lost and I am not responsible. It only sent me a disk image of the virtual machine in .qcow2 format and I have no idea how to use it to recover a cpanel account that I had there (1 website). Could I use promox to restore this VM...
  14. J

Match network configuration from KVM

Hello! Im migrating some VMs that are running using Qemu/KVM. Everything is working fine except that after running the VM in Proxmox I have to reconfigure the network because the guest OS detects a new device, even if I match in Proxmox the same mac address and the same driver (virtio). My...
  15. Z

VMs gehen automatisch aus, bei inaktivität.

Hallo liebe Proxmox Community, ich möchte hier gerne mein aktuelles Problem mit euch teilen. Ich bin vor ein paar Tagen in das Hetzner RZ gezogen, nutze ganz normal PVE 7(2-11) und habe aktuell zwei VMs auf Proxmox laufen. Beides sind Windows KVMs und auf beiden laufen 24/7 Softwares, die den...
  16. J

VMs backups that are not runing on Proxmox VE

Hello, Is it possible to use Proxmox Backup Server to backup VMs running on KVM/QEMU without Proxmox VE? Or only the file based backup is supported to that type of deployment? Thank you!
  17. UdoB

[SOLVED] How can I specifiy a nominal speed of a kvm virtio NIC?

Good morning, while expanding monitoring of my PVE systems I am stumbling over a (for me) problematic detail: the reported speed of a virtual NIC is always "10", which means 10 MBit/s. Specifically the host tells me this for any VM: root@pm1:~# cat /sys/class/net/tap110i0/speed 10 Just for...
  18. H

Monitoring Windows KVMs for malicious apps

Hello, Recently more and more spammers started ordering windows kvms on our hosting platform. They install malicious - and web cracking apps on our servers. Checking servers manually consumes a lot of time. Are there any solutions to monitor windows kvms for malicious activities like zabbix or...
  19. R

[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 7.2 : /usr/bin/kvm error

Hi, I have an issue with /usr/bin/kvm binarie and maybe other files. My proxmox server have been installed 15 days ago with 2 NVMe in RAID 1 ZFS and Proxmox VE 7.2 ISO. But since last upgrade (this week) the backup feature doesn't work and after proxmox reboot, I can't start any VM...
  20. R

How to enable QEMU Barrier KVM client per VM without breaking the Proxmox configuration system?

Hi, we want to use Barrier KVM to control multiple VMs from one PC without having to fiddle around with hardware KVM switches. Installing the distribution Barrier packages on CLI systems makes no sense as the dependencies will install all the X11 stuff. QEMU has an integrated Barrier client...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!