Changing default encoding for VNC console

shamael

Aug 7, 2009
Hallo, is there a way to set the default encoding for VNC consoles to something other than 'auto'?
On my arch linux box I often have to switch to something else (tight works well, for example) to enable keyboard input.
More importantly, I think that's the reason why I cannot use openvz or qemu monitor consoles: they don't have the 'options' button needed to change the encoding.
thanks!

Sorry, I should have been more specific...
I want to change the screen update encoding of the vnc java applet that shows up when I click on "Open VNC console" in the VM webpage.
For kvm guests, I can click on "options" at the top of the applet and change the tightvnc options among which is the "encoding" scheme. The encoding defaults to 'auto' and I would like it to default to something else (probably 'tight').

On my arch linux box I often have to switch to something else (tight works well, for example) to enable keyboard input.

How does encoding influence the keyboard input - I do not understand that?

Also, our VNC applet always talks to the kvm vnc server, and that works well here with the 'auto' setting. So why do you have problems - what problems exactly?

More importantly, I think that's the reason why I cannot use openvz or qemu monitor consoles: they don't have the 'options' button needed to change the encoding.
thanks!

The openvz and qemu-monitor console connects to vncterm, and that works perfectly with the auto encoding.

How does encoding influence the keyboard input - I do not understand that?

Ok, digging deeper... I though that was the trick needed but it turns out that changing any option or pressing any of those buttons on top (except 'refresh') finally makes the applet able to grab keyboard input.
In other words I:
-open the console for a kvm guest
-try to input something (it doesn't work)
-press some applet button (for example, 'clipboard', then close it)
-press some more keys (it works)

At this point i suppose the problem is on my side, although I don't usually have issues with java applets and have sun java 1.6.0_16 installed (not openjdk). I'll wait for the next java update... :(

Tried running Puppy Linux v4.2.1 in a KVM on Proxmox 1.3.
The mouse is out of synch with the one in the KVM.
Are there any workarounds?
In the KVM 's /etc/X11/xorg.conf I tied to include an options NoAutoAddDevices to true to no avail.

Tried running Puppy Linux v4.2.1 in a KVM on Proxmox 1.3.
The mouse is out of synch with the one in the KVM.
Are there any workarounds?
In the KVM 's /etc/X11/xorg.conf I tied to include an options NoAutoAddDevices to true to no avail.

I do not know puppy linux in detail but you need to find the right config inside.

for new distribution it works out of the box (ubuntu, fedora), others needs some adaption.

For Lenny, I did it like this, maybe this is pointer for you.

Must all these commands and the fdi file referred to in the link above be issued only from the host Proxmox?
Code:
apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-video-cirrus

you need to install this inside the KVM guest - this example is for Debian Lenny, other distributions will differ.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!