Proxmox, Bare-Metal Install, Layout

alphadog

Nov 5, 2008
How does the bare metal install figure out how to use available HDs during install? What does it do?

I have a new machine that has four 1TB SATA HDs. It currently runs Fedora 12 but I;d like to install Proxmox on it. It has the following partitioning:
- four partitions, one on each drive, setup in RAID10, with LVM. This holds /home, /opt, /tmp, etc. Space on the physical LVM volume is not fully used up, and logical volumes were being created for the various VMs run on that machine.
- two partitions, RAID 1, for /
- one partition, ext4/no raid, for /boot
- one partition, ext4/no raid, for /swap

How will Proxmox end up using the drives if I run the bare-metal installer over this existing setup. Will it ignore existing partitions and redo it according to its desires? If so, how? Will it blow away the existing LVM and thus erase existing VMs?

Last edited:
How will Proxmox end up using the drives if I run the bare-metal installer over this existing setup. Will it ignore existing partitions and redo it according to its desires? If so, how? Will it blow away the existing LVM and thus erase existing VMs?

Proxmox installer presents you a list of disks - you need to select one disk. The installer then overwrites that whole disk. After that it writes the MBR to whatever disk it thinks is first.

Anyways, I recommend to remove any disk with valid data before you install Proxmox VE.

Proxmox installer presents you a list of disks.

So, if I understand correctly, your only choice is to select one of the available physical disks? It erases and re-partitions according to a set 'recipe"? It won't read any existing partition scheme?

And, if so, I should probably use a new drive, install, and subsequently add the RAID10 set back in manually?

Last edited:
So, if I understand correctly, your only choice is to select one of the available physical disks? It erases and re-partitions according to a set 'recipe"? It won't read any existing partition scheme?

And, if so, I should probably use a new drive, install, and subsequently add the RAID10 set back in manually?

Hi,
is your raid10 a software-raid? Softwareraids are not supportet but some guys has a proxmox-installation with it (search in this forum).

Udo

Hi,
is your raid10 a software-raid? Softwareraids are not supportet but some guys has a proxmox-installation with it (search in this forum).

Yes. The raid drives are Linux software raid.

I was more interested in how the bare metal install worked (or didn't) with existing partitions during install.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!