3.10 Kernel for Proxmox

cste005

Aug 11, 2013
We don't require OpenVZ support and need to leverage some of the newer support/features in the 3.x kernel series. If anyone is interested to try these out the packages are here:

https://www.btg.co.nz/public/proxmox

Included in the above is also a copy of the /etc/default/grub file I am using, when you change this file you will need to run update-grub and reboot. All through my testing I have left the existing 2.6.22 kernel installed and booting, I suggest you do the same.

This is obviously COMPLETELY unsupported but if you need some of the newer features/improvements in the 3.x kernel series and don't need OpenVZ support then by all means it's worth a go just to test.

Yes we will be running these in production, but if you want to I suggest you test carefully as we have/are.

As always YMMV...

How do these kernels differ from the standard ones? What are they based on? Vanilla kernel releases or maybe the Debian/Ubuntu kernel? Can't we just install these from the standard Debian backports repo? Backports seems to carry 3.10.5-1 as well.

Can't we just install these from the standard Debian backports repo? Backports seems to carry 3.10.5-1 as well.

How would one selectively install packages from debian backports repo without upgrading the whole server?

To install a package from debian backports you need to explicitly instruct apt to fetch from this repository so installing a kernel would be like:
apt-get -t wheezy-backports install linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-amd64

Any package from wheezy-backports which is required to install a package will also automatically be installed or upgrading an existing package from wheezy.

Excellent, thanks mir, exactly what I need. Will try on our *test* server.

Need updated spice server packages.

Yeah, as mir have already said, just use the "-t" option with apt-get. It's just basic apt usage anyway. AFAIK PVE Spice binaries are on the bleeding edge so no need to replace them from backports, but I might be mistaken, versions should be checked first.

Great work, thank you! It is working perfect for me and it was exactly what I was searching for.
The kernel is reducing powerconsumption for about 20-30 % with my system.
I wasn't testing with any benchmark but it seems to me the system works faster too.
I'm trying with a Dell Poweredge T610 2x XENON L5639 with 5 kvms.
Everything seems to work fine so far.

Did you use cste005's debs or wheezy backports?

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To install a package from debian backports you need to explicitly instruct apt to fetch from this repository so installing a kernel would be like:
apt-get -t wheezy-backports install linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-amd64

Code:
root@pmx1:~# apt-get -t wheezy-backports install linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-amd64
Reading package lists... Done
E: The value 'wheezy-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
root@pmx1:~#

Do I need to add a source to apt?

To answer my own question - added

Code:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main

X-Post :)

And when you have several sources configured, use `apt-cache policy <pkgname>` to see the available versions of a package.
Then, once you begin cherrypicking from different repos, you may want to configure repos priority and package pinning to secure your upgrades

Thanks tarax.

I'm comfortable with basic apt, but today has expanded my knowledge - much appreciated!

I just pulled down 3.11 from backports on my test server. humming along nicely. will have to load it up for testing tomorrow.

Interestingly the PVE package info doesnt reflect this change in kernel??
PMKernel.jpg

Last edited:
why do you use 3.11 and not the debian 3.2 kernel?
as i have a different prartition setup i had to setup debian wheezy first and then install proxmox... i can start the system with the proxmox kernel and also with the 3.2 debian kernel.... some basic tests showed me that it worked fine...
i dont want to use the old proxmox kernel anoymore because it misses so many new features and i don't need openvz - but i am not sure how it will behave will all the proxmox components ....
did somebody make some extensive testing allready with other kernels?

oops sorry of course ;-) was thinking about 3.1.1...
what new features does 3.11 have in comparison to 3.2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!