quorum disk on shared storage 2 nodes, plus 1 future

nate

Mar 15, 2011
Question I have. I know in a 2 node config, if one node goes down and you start a vm you get a quorum error and you cant start the VM/s. I'm pretty sure this is because you need 3 nodes for (voting I think?) redundancy.

The issue I have is I have 2 servers and a shared storage server.

1. Is it possible to use the shared storage raid for an additional quorum disk, so that if one of the servers goes down I can still access the Vm? How to?

2. My plan is to put the 2 servers + shared storage server (readynas 3100) in our data center, run it for a bit and then add the 3rd server to the node when I can migrate off an existing machine, then add others from there if needed. If using a quorum on shared storage is possible would this work? Could I add additional machines and when I get to 3,4,5 and can I remove the quorum form the shared storage all together after I have 3 server nodes in place.

3. Is this a good approach? Any drawbacks.

I set up a iscsi target name "qdisk" of 1 Gig size on my storage server. Do I need to add the iscsi target in the proxmox gui i.e. "LVM Groups with Network Backing"?

I'm struggling with the device parameter in the mkqdisk command. Whats the best way to do this? is ISCSI the right way or should I be using an NFS share?

Thank you for the help.

I set up a iscsi target name "qdisk" of 1 Gig size on my storage server. Do I need to add the iscsi target in the proxmox gui i.e. "LVM Groups with Network Backing"?

I would manually configure that iscsi target using iscsiadm.

I

I'm struggling with the device parameter in the mkqdisk command. Whats the best way to do this?

Whats the problem (use /dev/disk/by-id/...)?

is ISCSI the right way or should I be using an NFS share?

AFAIK you need a block device, so NFS is not an option.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!