VMs with scsi don't start anymore

crazy-to-bike

Dec 9, 2011
www.crazy-to-bike.de
Hallo,

I have created 2 VMs (one with an IPCop and one with an Debian Server) with each one scsi Disk. That went fine until today. When I try to start them, I get an error message in the console:

Code:
Booting from local disk...
Boot failed... Press a key to retry

When I create an new VM with an IDE Disc and install the IPCop again, it works fine.

Unfortuantely, Proxmox installs an scsi Disk again, when I restore a snapshot.

Yesterday, after I had shutdown the VMs, I updated Proxmox. I think that these Updates occur the error.

So, how can I solve the Problem?
The Debian Server contains so many configurations and data, that I should be able to use it further.

Please help me to solve the Problem.

Edit:
Now the messages are different:
Booting from Hard Disk...
Could not read the boot disk

The Problem is the same.

Last edited:
I tried to downgradw with the following command:

dpkg -i pve-qemu-kvm_0.15.0-2_amd64.deb

The output was
(Reading Database [...]
Preparing zo replace [...]
Unpacking replacement pve-qemu-kvm ...
Setting up pve-qemu-kvm (0.15.0-2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...

No errors.

But now no VM starts anymore - no matter which kind of hd.

Please help me to get a working Installation again.

read the dev list.

At least the debian server boots from the virtual ide hd.

That reduces the expenditure of reconfiguration very much.

Can I assume that such a problem will not appear again using ide hds in the vms?

Otherwise it would imply not to update the proxmox system any more. But that would come into beeing a security leak.

Last edited:
I highly recommend to use the stable Proxmox VE for production systems. The beta is for testing only.

Why not usung virtio disks with Linux machines ? It is my default choice for (KVM) linux VMs, and should show as good (or almost identical) performances as SCSI, as it is included in kernel.

Alain

Why not usung virtio disks with Linux machines ? It is my default choice for (KVM) linux VMs, and should show as good (or almost identical) performances as SCSI, as it is included in kernel.

Alain

Well, I have no experiences with virtio. By experience with real hds I thought scsi would be the best choice.
When creating a new vm, the default recommendation ist ide. So after my experience with scsi I'm thinking that this is the kind of hd the developers would prefer / suggest to use.

Therefore my question in post #13, if using ide as virtual hd will ensure that such a problem will not appear again.

It will work with IDE, but performances (IO) will be much lower than virtio. You should try. Virtio is stable for Linux VMs. It is just a matter to remove the disk, then re-add it as virtio...

Alain

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!