proxmox-ve + openfiler = for home use?

D

darude

Hello guys,
I thought about a solution for using pm-ve in cooperation with openfiler on two different physical consumer machines. No HW-RAID, no special enterprise disks, no special boards, just some consumer mobos, cpus and disks.

Right now I got 1x mobo m2a-mx, 1x amd 3800+ X2, 2x 200GB, 3x 500GB HDD, 2x 1GB ram, 2x 2GB ram and a lot of sparetime due to holidays ;)

If possible, I would like to use just one machine for the whole "do some stuff in virtual environments, while having some vm's for apache2/mysql/samba that do some real work, while the real data is save and not affected when proxmox can't handle my experiments" :>

I'm sure this isn't enterprise like, but I'd like to try to get in that direction for the best buck I get.

I got some questions in general and for best practise purposes.

1. Is that in general a good idea?
2. Is it possible to mount some real LV's instead of using qcow2 files into the virtual machine? (i did something like that with xen on an ubuntu host)
3. Are there any further suggestions you would like to give me on my way?

Your ideas are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

bye, darude
aka Benjamin Griese

Hello guys,
I thought about a solution for using pm-ve in cooperation with openfiler on two different physical consumer machines. No HW-RAID, no special enterprise disks, no special boards, just some consumer mobos, cpus and disks.

Right now I got 1x mobo m2a-mx, 1x amd 3800+ X2, 2x 200GB, 3x 500GB HDD, 2x 1GB ram, 2x 2GB ram and a lot of sparetime due to holidays ;)

If possible, I would like to use just one machine for the whole "do some stuff in virtual environments, while having some vm's for apache2/mysql/samba that do some real work, while the real data is save and not affected when proxmox can't handle my experiments" :>

I'm sure this isn't enterprise like, but I'd like to try to get in that direction for the best buck I get.

I got some questions in general and for best practise purposes.

1. Is that in general a good idea?
2. Is it possible to mount some real LV's instead of using qcow2 files into the virtual machine? (i did something like that with xen on an ubuntu host)
3. Are there any further suggestions you would like to give me on my way?

Your ideas are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

bye, darude
aka Benjamin Griese

take a look on our roadmap - we will implement a flexible storage pools so you can use storage provided by openfiler (or any other SAN).

ad 2: not yet, but it´s on the roadmap.
(Mounting ISCSI is basically already possible and working but nothing integrated)

thanks for your reply

take a look on our roadmap - we will implement a flexible storage pools so you can use storage provided by openfiler (or any other SAN).

Ok when the DAS-Pool is implemented I would prefer that, due to less power consumption when I use only one system that fits my needs.
Is there a raw timescale this feature is available, maybe in an early beta?
Stability is not the big deal in my case. :)

ad 2: not yet, but it´s on the roadmap.
(Mounting ISCSI is basically already possible and working but nothing integrated)
Does that work for the pm-ve host or/and for the running vm's?
I basically thought about a solution over cifs/nfs where I mount /var/lib/vz to and everything works fine. :)
But an iSCSI solution like every vm gets its own LUN i.e. would be nice too.

Keep up the good work on your product and this outstanding forum/mailinglist support!!

bye darude

thanks for your reply

Ok when the DAS-Pool is implemented I would prefer that, due to less power consumption when I use only one system that fits my needs.
Is there a raw timescale this feature is available, maybe in an early beta?
Stability is not the big deal in my case. :)

I hope to get something end of Q1/09 - if you want to speed up development support the project:

• donate some money
  • help other users in the forum
  • suggest Proxmox VE to other to increase popularity
  • report bugs

Does that work for the pm-ve host or/and for the running vm's?
I basically thought about a solution over cifs/nfs where I mount /var/lib/vz to and everything works fine. :)
But an iSCSI solution like every vm gets its own LUN i.e. would be nice too.

Keep up the good work on your product and this outstanding forum/mailinglist support!!

bye darude

as I wrote you can do ISCSI mounts on Proxmox VE means the Kernel and the needed packages should be already here. But not tested and integrated in Proxmox VE so I cannot give an answers or details here - just google for iscsi and debian.

I hope to get something end of Q1/09 - if you want to speed up development support the project:

• donate some money
  • help other users in the forum
  • suggest Proxmox VE to other to increase popularity
  • report bugs

Yeah, thats what I'm doing atleast for point 2 and 3. :)
The most ppl I talked to were very intrested, but bit in the ass, cause they use in most cases old consumer hardware without the for kvm neccessary cpu features. Bad luck for them. ;)

as I wrote you can do ISCSI mounts on Proxmox VE means the Kernel and the needed packages should be already here. But not tested and integrated in Proxmox VE so I cannot give an answers or details here - just google for iscsi and debian.

I'm right now reading into the whole materia, working with the netapp simulator, cause our CX3-20 in the lab doesn't support iscsi. :)

cya, darude

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!