Transfer software raid to VM

ptmuldoon

Apr 28, 2012
I think I'm getting myself confused with ProxMox and setting up a VM, and not understanding if the below can be done or not. Could someone maybe help out on the proper steps.

I currently have a small nasbox running Ubuntu Server installed on a 4GB flash drive. And the system has a 4 disk, raid 5 software (mdadm) setup attached to it with all my media kept on it.

Now I want to move that Raid 5 array into a Virtual Machine. I created the VM or Ubuntu Server. But I do understand how to move the Raid Array to the VM. I had thought adding the physical disks to the VM was the proper way, but am not so sure now.

Is there another/better way you would move an existing Raid array?

Thanks
Paul

I think I'm getting myself confused with ProxMox and setting up a VM, and not understanding if the below can be done or not. Could someone maybe help out on the proper steps.

I currently have a small nasbox running Ubuntu Server installed on a 4GB flash drive. And the system has a 4 disk, raid 5 software (mdadm) setup attached to it with all my media kept on it.

Now I want to move that Raid 5 array into a Virtual Machine. I created the VM or Ubuntu Server. But I do understand how to move the Raid Array to the VM. I had thought adding the physical disks to the VM was the proper way, but am not so sure now.

Is there another/better way you would move an existing Raid array?

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul,
software-raid are not supported by pve but you can install it also on pve. But perhaps it's better to use the software-raid inside the guest. Simply define all hdd for the client in the config (in /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf)
like this
Code:
virtio0: local:120/vm-120-disk-1.raw
virtio1: local:120/vm-120-disk-2.raw

# or with real hdds
virtio0: /dev/sdb
virtio1: /dev/sdc
# the harddisk must be unused by the host!
Udo

Thank Udo.

I will give that a shot tonight. And yes, I am hoping to just re-setup the the software raid inside the VM and not in pve itself.

I was reading up on adding physical disks to the VMID.conf file from the WIKI here which shows:

ide1: /dev/sdb
ide2: /dev/sdc

So I take it virtio# will accomplish the same thing? Is there a limit on how many HD's you can add? I know in adding an ide drives your limited to between 0 - 3. And my I already have a 4 disk array with plans for a second one.

Just test it out and it looks like I can accomplish recreating the 4 drive raid array with virtio since it accepts upto 6 HD's from viritio0 to viritio5. But what if you had a 10 disk raid array? It looks like your limited to maximum of 6 disks?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!