[SOLVED] Does proxmox still offer a fully free version?

cosmos

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2013
Some years ago I was able to make a couple of proxmox installations without any licensing. At the time that meant that my installations did not have access to the enterprise proxmox repositories, advertised as thoroughly tested.

Is it still possible today? Asking here because I see there is a cost associated with a "community" edition (usually for-free cut-down versions of the paid-for version).

Hey,

yes, you'll have the same version regardless of the repository. As you mentioned the enterprise repo is more thoroughly tested and usually a few weeks behind in terms of updates, but other than that they are identical.

IOW, can I install a community edition at work, without buying a subscription of some sort?
No, you need a community support subscription.

You can install Proxmox without any subscription (of any kind), which is identical to the community edition except for the "nag screen" and it gets updates earlier (if you chose to install updates).

EDIT: Proxmox with any of the other support subscriptions are also identical to the community edition, except that they come a number of support tickets (and maybe other support benefits, I don't know/care about the details).

EDIT2: There is really only one version of Proxmox (which is FOSS under AGPL3), but some get updates earlier and you can buy a subscription for various kinds of support.

Last edited:
PVE is open source. You can use it with all features for free (no artificial limitations and no stripped down version). What you pay for is technical support and/or access to the more stable enterprise repo.
There is no way to get that for free.
Somehow they need to earn some money to pay staff and so on... ;)

So you either contribute with money or by being part of external testing.
Still very stable with the no-subscription repo and free community support is great. So not a big problem to use it without paying any cent unless you use it comercially where downtime could be very expensive and they you should have the budget to pay for it (which is still very cheap compared to VMware and so on).

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmos
Loved Proxmox. Even managed to hold on to two hosts, when upper management furnished my department with an ESXi-based cluster (2 nodes and FC-based storage) ... which now they don't know what to do the way things turned for vmware...

Will upgrade the ones at work and will install a home server now that I've got some serious performance there :)

Still, common storage seems to be an Achilles' heel here. Which is really a pity since PVE's feature set is extensive and the product itself is rock-stable...

No, you need a community support subscription.

I have been using Proxmox privately for a while. I liked it. Since I had the impression that the community version is free, I wanted to set up a small lab at work based on Proxmox. While searching the Internet for information about licensing to ensure that I could use Proxmox without any fees, I came across this forum and your statement.

However, I didn't find any documents confirming your claim that purchasing a subscription is required. Therefore, I find it hard to agree with your statement. Are there any licensing terms that require the purchase of a subscription? Could you point them out?

I only found suggestions regarding the purchase of a subscription.

https://proxmox.com/en/services/support states:
For software used in production environments and business-critical solutions, we recommend getting a subscription.

If understand correctly what has been written above, and as @Dunuin noted, one can use PVE for free but without having access to the proxmox enterprise-grade repositories. As you've mentioned, getting a subscription is a basically technically recommendation, since you do not have access to tried and tested repos.

There is no license you need to buy. It's free open source software. And not "freemium" like many other commercial open source projects that use artificial restrictions to hide features behind a pay wall.
What you might pay for support and the enterprise repo (which contains the same packages, just some weeks behind and therefore better tested).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!