Proxmox Backup Storage Alternative to Chunked Storage

Jul 2, 2023
I would like to know if there is alternative storage of backups using the Proxmox Backup Server where the backups of all VMs aren't lumped together in the .chunk folder.

I'm coming from an environment where backups were created by Acronis or Veeam, and the repository is broken down by the VM names and backup files. The structure makes it easier to identify backups, and if replicated to an offsite blob, it enables the individual retrieval of VM backup vs. downloading the entire chuck data.

Is there another alternative to the Backup Server if it cannot individualize the backups in a folder-like structure? My goal is to backup and replicate the backups to Blob storage for offsite purposes.

No. All is based on deduplicated chunks. If you want individual backup archives/images of VMs you could use PVEs VZDump. But then without essential features like incremental backups.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!