Create datastore on PBS VM

Por12

Mar 6, 2023
Hi there,

I'm trying to set-up a PBS VM on a PVE. The PVE will only be used for PBS and a Borg LXC to backup different sources.

I have created a 2TB qcow2 disk on a secondary hdd and assigned it via GUI. I have defined the disk as VirtIO as I understand will give me the best speed. I can see the drive un fdisk -l under /dev/vda in the PBS VM.

I have created a mount point "/mnt/datastore" where I'd like to mount /dev/vda so that I can create the datastore. But I am incapable of figuring out how to do it.

I am struggling with what I think is a fairly basic doubt, but I've searched and tried for 2h without success so I'd appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

I have created a mount point "/mnt/datastore" where I'd like to mount /dev/vda so that I can create the datastore. But I am incapable of figuring out how to do it.
Automount it at boot by fstab or systemd (set up via CLI). In case that virtual disk is empty you should also be able to create a datastore on it via webUI. PBS then should partition it, format it, mount it and create a datastore on it.

I have created a 2TB qcow2 disk on a secondary hdd
By the way...performance will be terrible when using HDDs. PBS was designed with SSDs in mind as IOPS performance is required. So don't expect much. Running maintainance tasks like re-verify and GC will make PBS and borg unusable for many hours.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!