VE 8.2: proxmox-firewall panicked

alex123

Apr 24, 2024
Hi,

after the update to 8.2 I can see a new service/package was installed: proxmox-firewall. Its set to enabled/autostart by default. However, this service fails to start in my environment:

Code:
root@xxxxxxxxxxx:~# systemctl status proxmox-firewall
× proxmox-firewall.service - Proxmox nftables firewall
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/proxmox-firewall.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2024-04-24 16:55:38 CEST; 1s ago
   Duration: 2ms
    Process: 8404 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/proxmox/proxmox-firewall (code=exited, status=101)
   Main PID: 8404 (code=exited, status=101)
        CPU: 1ms

Apr 24 16:55:38 xxxxxxxxxxx systemd[1]: Started proxmox-firewall.service - Proxmox nftables firewall.
Apr 24 16:55:38 xxxxxxxxxxx proxmox-firewall[8404]: thread 'main' panicked at 'cluster firewall config is valid: invalid ip address or CIDR: "_v6"', proxmox-firewall/src/config.rs:187:58
Apr 24 16:55:38 xxxxxxxxxxx proxmox-firewall[8404]: note: run with `RUST_BACKTRACE=1` environment variable to display a backtrace
Apr 24 16:55:38 xxxxxxxxxxx systemd[1]: proxmox-firewall.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=101/n/a
Apr 24 16:55:38 xxxxxxxxxxx systemd[1]: proxmox-firewall.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I did not opt in to the nftables preview. Can I go ahead with the deactivation of this service?

Thanks!
Alex

Last edited:
Yes you can deactivate the service as long as you are not using the nftables firewall.

Last edited:
Hi,
i have a different problem but also with input proxmox-firewall expects:
Code:
thread 'main' panicked at 'cluster firewall config is valid: Invalid address in IPSet: cluster-network-building', proxmox-firewall/src/config.rs:187:58
where cluster-network-building is an Alias to a public x.y.z.64/29
Does proxmox-firewall only accept addresses and no networks as part of an IPSet?
Regards,
Matthias

It should also accept an alias, but we changed the format of aliases to be namespaced ~1 year ago, so they either should have dc/ or guest/ as prefix - it seems like this is not the case in your IPSet. If you have not edited your firewall configuration since the change your configuration will not contain those namespaces. So you would have to edit the IPSet and re-select the alias so it gets generated with the proper prefix.

It should also accept an alias, but we changed the format of aliases to be namespaced ~1 year ago, so they either should have dc/ or guest/ as prefix - it seems like this is not the case in your IPSet. If you have not edited your firewall configuration since the change your configuration will not contain those namespaces. So you would have to edit the IPSet and re-select the alias so it gets generated with the proper prefix.
Oh yeah, that cluster did not change much since creation, so i missed that one.
Works as described: re-adding for ipsets, re-selecting for rules.
Thanks!

Reactions: shanreich
So I can confirm 0.3.1 fixes my underscore naming issue.
But I face the crash with the missing dc/ / guest/ prefix now as well.

Are there changes planned to make proxmox-firewall more failproof or atleast trigger some kind of alert, when this service fails? Otherwise it will just leave the VMs/servers unprotected without anyone noticing.
I also guess there are many installations who did not adopt the new alias format. Is there some kind of auto migration planned? Or some hint that the format in use is outdated? https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2023-June/057284.html the patch for pve-firewall provides backwards compatibility. Would be nice to see this with proxmox-firewall as well.

I also prefer a service that will not crash because one or another rule is not correctly understood. :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Are there changes planned to make proxmox-firewall more failproof or atleast trigger some kind of alert, when this service fails? Otherwise it will just leave the VMs/servers unprotected without anyone noticing.
Yes, I am working on a patch for addressing this, the fact that it crashes was not my intention.

Since the proxmox-firewall is currently opt-in only there is no issue of your host being unprotected if you did not explicitly switch to the nftables firewall. The old pve-firewall is still doing its job in the meanwhile.

Reactions: lpenzer and alex123
worked, thanks :)

I could not find documentation on how to do this (but that may be my lack of google-fu). Did I overlook something in the upgrade notes?

Through trial and error I found that I can redefine IPSets that use aliases, which put me on the right track for knowing what changes to make to /etc/pve/firewall/cluster.fw. The dc/ prefix has to be added to all alias references in [IPSET ] and [RULES ] stanzas, for the terminally curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gilou

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!