[SOLVED] Help/feature request regarding the new proxmox-auto-install-assistant tool.

CountryUser14

Aug 23, 2023
Hello!

Firstly, I would like to thank the Proxmox team for releasing yet another awesome update. Keep up the good work, and thank you for your contributions to open source.

I'm writing to inquiry about one of the features of the new tool, `proxmox-auto-install-assistant`. If I understand this correctly, this tool can be used to automate Proxmox installations. An idea that instantly came into my mind while reading the release notes last night, was that can't this tool be possibly used to "backup" current Proxmox host settings? - I'm thinking of a way to generate the required "answer file" based on a current Proxmox settings.

Then, adding this "answer file" to an ISO would allow for an installation media, that already has a copy of the settings of a live environment. So when a host re-install is needed, and given that you don't have anything installed on the host, this would allow for a no-setup reinstall.

I understand that this is not a bulletproof solution, as I imagine not everything can be included in an answer file like the users, or firewall settings for as an example, but it is something that could be useful, I believe. I also understand if this tool isn't meant for this purpose.

Thank you for reading, and I wish the best for all!

Last edited:
the auto-install is mostly pre-seeding the choices presented by the installer, so most things not covered by that are currently out of scope, including most post-install configuration/setup steps.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!