Run docker servers on Proxmox

yayaya

Apr 14, 2024
Hi everyone, I'm new here and would appreciate some help regarding networks and arr family (radarr, sonarr and so on)
I want to arrange the whole arr family in this way
1) proxmox - - - > LXC turnkey fileServer
where there is a folder called Data that contains:
* Downloads
* Movies
* Series
2) Proxmox - - - > LXC Ubuntu - - - > Docker - - - > radarr

I want Radarr to work on the FileServer's network folder

I chose the LXC server because it requires much less resources and the computer is weak.

I tried for a week in many variations without success.

I would really appreciate your help
1) Is my way even correct? Is there a better way to give docker access to files from the network?
2) No matter what I tried, I can't load the file into LXC using Smb
3) I am open to suggestions to do it in a different and better way

Thank you!

I am attaching the docker compose here

https://gist.github.com/yayaya142/515ac09ae1dac9a068976a406b1a7d16

I am sorry if I am doing something that breaks the form rules

Best to tun Docker in a real VM, not in an LX(C) container. This is the official way. Running it in LXC is not supported, can and will break on updates, as it did in the past.
Thanks! I tried to do it in VM and had no success, so I moved to try on LXC. I will definitely go the VM route now.
I installed docker and it works fine, when I try to run radarr and mount SMB folder it doesn't work.
i couldn't find any guide on it online
do you have any suggestions?

I run a LXC Debian 12 container with docker / portainer that holds multiple dockers. I also share file access with NFS from the host to multiple LXC conatiners and some dockers. LXC containers is a regular fstab mount story but the dockers needs a bit of doing. It is a bit of configuring but once you got the templates there and NFS share up it's fairly straight forward and it is fast.

The host (10.1.10.11) that holds the share:
[/etc/exports]
/media/disk1 10.1.10.22(rw,all_squash,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

Example of a docker template:

Code:
version: "3"

services:
  jellyfin:
    image: jellyfin/jellyfin:latest
    container_name: jellyfin-music
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 8096:8096
    volumes:
      - /media/DOCKER/jellyfin-music/config:/config
      - /media/DOCKER/jellyfin-music/cache:/cache
      - music:/mnt/music

volumes:
  music:
    driver_opts:
      type: "nfs"
      o: "addr=10.1.10.11,nolock,ro,soft,nfsvers=4"
      device: ":/media/disk1"

One thing though, I have seen some issues when rebooting the host and machine hangs. I have whipped up a script that shutdown the dockers first and then the LXC's (and wait for them to stop) before shut down the host. It seems to have helped. Feel free to use any snippets:
https://github.com/Lennong/graceful-shutdown

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!