Proxmox VE 8.2 released!

Did the fixed rtl8125 drivers make it in?
Not sure if you mean an issue with r8125-dkms not working with newer kernels - but we repackaged the dkms-module to work with kernel 6.8
installing `r8125-dkms` from the proxmox repositories should yield a working module.

I have problems with the new 6.8 kernel. Is it possible that the interface names change with an Intel X710 card? With 6.5 my interface was called enp99s0f0, with the 6.8 kernel the same interface is now called enp99s0f0np0. This tears up the entire network configuration...
I had the same issue.
Also the old interface names are still there.

Luckily I could SSH via the NAS that has a direct link to my server in order to change the config.

I get this error while upgrading:

Code:
Building module:
Cleaning build area...
make -j32 KERNELRELEASE=6.8.4-2-pve -C src/drbd KDIR=/lib/modules/6.8.4-2-pve/build.......(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.8.4-2-pve (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/drbd/9.2.8-2/build/make.log for more information.
Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.
Refer to previous errors for more information.
dkms: autoinstall for kernel: 6.8.4-2-pve failed!
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms exited with return code 11
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed.postinst line 20.
dpkg: error processing package proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed (--configure):
 installed proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-kernel-6.8:
 proxmox-kernel-6.8 depends on proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed | proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve; however:
  Package proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed is not configured yet.
  Package proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve is not installed.
  Package proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed which provides proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package proxmox-kernel-6.8 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-default-kernel:
 proxmox-default-kernel depends on proxmox-kernel-6.8; however:
  Package proxmox-kernel-6.8 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package proxmox-default-kernel (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-ve:
 proxmox-ve depends on proxmox-default-kernel; however:
  Package proxmox-default-kernel is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package proxmox-ve (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:
 proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed
 proxmox-kernel-6.8
 proxmox-default-kernel
 proxmox-ve

I found no solution to successfully finish the update.
Any ideas how to continue the update?
In Release Notes, I found the answer in section: Known Issues & Breaking Changes. I pinned the kernel to current 6.5 kernel and installation continued. Unfortunately, manually I need to remove the 6.8 kernel.

Code:
apt remove proxmox-kernel-6.8 proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed
apt dist-upgrade

Now my system is on 8.2 with last 8.1 kernel.

Reactions: theepan
You can pin the names to be consistent over udev changes that might come with debian updates.
any special way to do this or just something like

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="01:23:45:67:89:ab", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

in
Code:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

I get these errors after upgrading, the service "proxmox-firewall" exits with failure

Attachments

• 1713976015818.png
    1713976015818.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: TomFIT
Hello! Congratulations on the release!

What are the implications of running the latest 6.5.13 kernel with Proxmox 8.2? I'm experimenting with Intel iGPU SR-IOV support, and that still requires the latest 6.5.13 release.

Is booting with 6.5 going to break any of the new features?

Edit: I noticed this in the release notes: "When editing ZFS storages, display 16k as the blocksize placeholder to reflect the current ZFS defaults."
However, after upgrading and restarting, I tried to add a new ZFS pool an saw this:
View attachment 66885

Thanks!

I'm super interested to know Intel iGPU SR-IOV drivers implications with 6.8 update too. From what I read, 6.8 kernel will out of box support for i915 with SR-IOV support. Can someone please confirm?

EDIT: Looks like you're on top of this judging by the avatar pic :) Too bad kernel above 6.5 will break the iGPU SR-IOV.

https://github.com/strongtz/i915-sriov-dkms/issues/153

Last edited:
Reactions: SInisterPisces
Very cool new update. Thanks.

Regarding fleecing, the manpage says it's a tech-preview, the release notes do not mention that. Which of the two is right? :)

I renamed my security groups and removed the dashes, aaaand i got a new error :/
* you should be able to change back to the old firewall for the mean-time.
* opening a dedicated thread for issues with the new experimental nftables based firewall would be appreciated! (else it might get overlooked in the general release thread)

Reactions: Feni
I'm super interested to know Intel iGPU SR-IOV drivers implications with 6.8 update too. From what I read, 6.8 kernel will out of box support for i915 with SR-IOV support. Can someone please confirm?

EDIT: Looks like you're on top of this judging by the avatar pic :) Too bad kernel above 6.5 will break the iGPU SR-IOV.

https://github.com/strongtz/i915-sriov-dkms/issues/153
I found the error, in the cluster firewall config, if i configure a security group like this:

Code:
[group icmpmonitoring] # allow icmp

IN ACCEPT -source dc/grafanaserver -p icmp -log nolog -icmp-type any # Ping

it wont work

when i use the macro for ping, it works:

Code:
[group icmpmonitoring] # allow icmp

IN Ping(ACCEPT) -source dc/grafanaserver -log nolog # Ping

i did update my non-production test-system.

i want to try new fleecing feature.

what is the reason that fleecing storage "local-zfs" is selected by default and greyed out, so no other fleecing storage can be selected ?

* you should be able to change back to the old firewall for the mean-time.
* opening a dedicated thread for issues with the new experimental nftables based firewall would be appreciated! (else it might get overlooked in the general release thread)
I have not enabled the nftables firewall

Very cool new update. Thanks.

Regarding fleecing, the manpage says it's a tech-preview, the release notes do not mention that. Which of the two is right? :)
The description from the manual page is a bit older, and while it's an advanced feature, I'd not call it tech preview anymore.
Albeit it cannot be guaranteed to be 100% bug free, like all but the most trivial software.

The things that can go wrong with it are mostly user decisions, like e.g., using the same storage as the backup target for fleecing too, which would be rather making things worse. As long as you use a fast and local storage, as recommended, you should be good to go.

Reactions: herzkerl
what is the reason that fleecing storage "local-zfs" is selected by default and greyed out, so no other fleecing storage can be selected ?
You need to check the fleecing check box above it and the first storage from the list is selected by default.
The reason that enabling fleecing and setting the fleecing storage are two different settings in the backup jobs configuration is, that we wanted to allow adding other storage overrides (like from the VM configuration) later. I hope that explains it.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!