Clarity on PBR backup retention

Sep 26, 2023
Hello.
Although there are a lot of options for the backups, are the settings cumulative - or specific?
I have backups currently configured in the way -
last - 2
daily - 8
monthly - 12
weekly - 4
yearly - 6

If I have a vm (101) and I have the backups scheduled to use this schedule, what should I actually have - say after 1 month? I'd think 16, but not sure. Also - is the 'last' #, the number of snapshots only, which are 'rolled up' after each days job run ?

Thanks for that. I'll look at it in a bit. What do you know about sync, or replication to another server? If I say - locally, back up 5 copies and I have a remote server - doing replication/sync, which is pulling 'any' backups from the main site - to the remote site...will they be in sync with 5 copies at main site, and 5 copies at the remote site? What if I had, originally 10 at the main site, and changed the backup job to reflect 5 now - do I have to prune manually (or create a automatic job) which keep's the copies to the required # of 5 - or will after the backups run, any copies over 5 automatically be purged?

I don't mind having more data externally, but would want to limit the amt of data stored 'locally' at the production site.

Afaik pruning rules are independent. It should be possible to have only a few backup locally, synced to remote and stay there virtually forever. Probably this has been discussed here in the forum already.

Disclaimer: personally I do not use this mechanism!

The sync job also got the "removed vanished" option. With that checked, if PBS2 pulls from PBS1 and backup snapshots got deleted/pruned on PBS1 they will also be pruned on PBS2. But not great if you want to be prepared aginst ransomware or human error when PBS1 is able to delete backups of PBS2.

Last edited:
Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!