Proxmox VE and Intel i210-AT NIC: Repeating communication losses

TheExpert

Apr 23, 2024
Hi all,

I'm new to Proxmox VE. I'm testing it to see if I can switch over from VMware Hypervisor (free ESXi 8.0.2). So installed Proxmox VE 8.1 on a server with a Supermicro X10SLM-F mainboard. There are 2 onboard NICs from Intel: i210-AT and i217-LM.

The i210-AT onboard NICs worked with VMware ESXi without any issues but with Proxmox VE I've repeating communication losses to the management address when connected to the i210-AT. On the same interface there's the IPMI connected and this has no communication losses. Both IP adresses are on the same network. Pinging the IPMI has no packet losses but pinging the management of Proxmox VE has.

Now I switched the management interface to one of the separate HP NC-360T PCIe cards and once again to the onboard i217-LM and there aren't any communication losses.

The driver for i210-AT is igb, for the other ones it's e1000e.

Code:
lspci | grep Ethernet
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 05)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB/82571GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller D0/D1 (copper applications) (rev 06)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB/82571GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller D0/D1 (copper applications) (rev 06)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB/82571GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller D0/D1 (copper applications) (rev 06)
02:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB/82571GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller D0/D1 (copper applications) (rev 06)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

Does anybody knows this issue? Did you resolved this and how?

Kind Regards

My bet is on Supermicro messed up again. We also experienced unexplainable connectivity issues on setups similar to what OP has so we stay away from shared IPMI LAN ports now.

There's a dedicated IPMI LAN port, too. I'm surprised that the IPMI also uses the i210-AT. So, you solved the issue by connecting the IPMI to the dedicated LAN port and the i210-AT then worked without issues? This is how I have connected my running ESXi hosts. Proxmox is installed on a test hardware and so I didn't connect all LAN lines.

So, you solved the issue by connecting the IPMI to the dedicated LAN port and the i210-AT then worked without issues?
Yes. We do have another configuration that IPMI uses the one of the onboard NIC and the host OS uses an add-on network card. Both works without issue.

OK, so I tested now with using the dedicated LAN port for the IPMI. But this doesn't help. I'm losing packets on the i210-AT when pinging the management address of the PVE server. I never had these issues with ESXi! The i210-AT is a failover interface for the IPMI. I can't change this in BIOS.

Last edited:
And even after setting the LAN port in the IPMI configuration to dedicated only I'm losing ping packets. I think there's an issue with the igb driver.

Last edited:
As already said: With VMware ESXi I never had this issue on this hardware.

Last edited:
And I've another system with the same mainboard. On this system I have XPEnology running (based on ARC) which doesn't have any issues regarding the i210-AT network card.

How to proceed to solve this issue with the onboard i210-AT? I don't want to by new additional network cards because of no possibility to use the onboard NICs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!