Nvidia rtx a5000 not working in proxmox virtual environment

Nauman Mahboob

Apr 23, 2024
Hello,

I’m currently setting up an NVIDIA RTX A5000 GPU in a Proxmox virtual environment using GPU passthrough. My VM OS is Windows 10 Pro. The issue arises when I add the PCI device to my VM configuration. Upon attempting to install the driver recommended by GeForce Experience software within the VM, it becomes unresponsive. Subsequently, I am unable to log back into the VM using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). However, everything runs smoothly when the PCI device is not added.

My objective is to successfully pass through the GPU device to the Proxmox VM and install the corresponding driver.

can someone help me with this ?

do you try to passthrough the device as a whole?

what is the vm config (qm config ID) and the pve versions (pveversion -v)

also do you see anything on the built in console ? ( you might have to select an explicit display type like 'standard vga')

yes i did passthrough the device as a whole but issue occurred when i try to install the driver in the vm. Attaching screenshots for vm config and pve version. The display type i am keeping as default.

1713864520698.png1713864608540.png

Attachments

• 1713864416234.png
    1713864416234.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!