Issue with RAID Recognition on Minisforum MS01 during PVE 8 Installation

doremo

Apr 11, 2024
Recently, I acquired a Minisforum MS01 with the intention of running latest Proxmox VE 8. The MS01 supports RAID configurations in the BIOS, managed by Intel VMD. However, when I attempted to install the PVE system on the machine, I encountered an issue: PVE displayed the three individual disks rather than recognizing them as a single RAID volume. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Search for "fakeraid" in the search engine of your choice.

Disclaimer: this is only a suspicion, I do not have an MS-01...
Unfortunately, Ubuntu Server, AlmaLinux, and FreeBSD successfully recognize the Intel VMD RAID, while I suspect that Proxmox's kernel lacks the necessary VMD module.

instead of fakeraid i would use zfs mirror/raidz.
much better dataredundancy/integrity than with fakeraid.
I not familiar to define the volume size in zfs.
BIOS base RAID configuration is more straightforward

BIOS base RAID configuration is more straightforward
Yes. And compared to ZFS mirroring that Raid
  • is usually not manufacturer agnostic - a Raid setup for trademark A is probably not compatible with manufacturer B
  • lacks transparent compression
  • lacks snapshots capability
  • does not know anything about "thin provisioning"
  • has no "zfs send | zfs receive"
  • can not help replication between Nodes
  • has no high quality integrity checking
  • ...used for bit-rot detection
  • cannot automatic repair errors (as there is simply no knowledge of which of the mirrors is correct)
Of course some/most of these features are alternatively implemented by the well established tools like LVM/LVMthin, file formats like Qcow2 and snapshots by KVM/Qemu.

As usual: just my 2 €¢...

Yes. And compared to ZFS mirroring that Raid
  • is usually not manufacturer agnostic - a Raid setup for trademark A is probably not compatible with manufacturer B
  • lacks transparent compression
  • lacks snapshots capability
  • does not know anything about "thin provisioning"
  • has no "zfs send | zfs receive"
  • can not help replication between Nodes
  • has no high quality integrity checking
  • ...used for bit-rot detection
  • cannot automatic repair errors (as there is simply no knowledge of which of the mirrors is correct)
Of course some/most of these features are alternatively implemented by the well established tools like LVM/LVMthin, file formats like Qcow2 and snapshots by KVM/Qemu.

As usual: just my 2 €¢...

I recently set up a simple, single-node homelab server. For my purposes, the sophisticated features of ZFS aren't necessary. I prefer a straightforward solution like legacy RAID, where I can simply replace a disk and let the controller automatically rebuild the RAID. I haven't researched whether ZFS offers this type of functionality, but legacy RAID meets my needs adequately.Despite working in IT, I am no longer deeply immersed in every new technology. My goal is to manage my homelab infrastructure in a simple, efficient, and effective manner, minimizing the time and effort I invest while maximizing the productivity of my setup.

I prefer spend more time to relax at home , enjoy my entertainment time like listening my Hi-Fi, watch video or exercise

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!