New server install not booting to webserver view

Apr 18, 2024
Proxmox 8.1.4
Dell R620 servers
Installed on new internal SD card

After attempting to create a cluster, an issue arose with the system wanting to use an IP lower than the system IP, which ended up being my idrac IP. I was unsuccessful in trying to change the cluster IP and I could not delete the cluster to start over. I decided to just reinstall proxmox and start over, as it was fairly new install. After reinstalling, using the same equipment, I cannot get the system to boot to the CLI screen and launch the web client, for this one server, the other 2 servers are fine. I have tried to reinstall multiple times and reflashed the ISO thinking my image was corrupted.

Instead of booting to the Welcome to Proxmox virtual.........connect to IP CLI screen,

I am only getting a CLI with the server name login. I can login as root, but I am not sure how to get past this issue. One thing I noticed is that the login prompt is showing server name and domain name, but not in the FQDN format I setup during the install. I am not sure if this is normal or not, but I did want to make note of it.
Instead of "servername@mydomain.com" it is showing "servernamemydomain" login:

Bumping to see if any night owls have a thought on this issue. I have completely disconnected sas drives and reinstalled on a replacement SD card, but still booting to the same screen.

Installed on new internal SD card
First of, do not install Proxmox VE on an actual SD card. It will not live long! Use an actual disk (HDD or SSD) that will last longer. Since logging and other tasks that cause many writes are not redirected to other disks, SD cards and USB flash drives are not a great idea to use as system disk. They are slow and will die rather quickly.

Instead of "servername@mydomain.com" it is showing "servernamemydomain" login:
During the installation, in the network screen where you also set the FQDN, make sure you actually set an FQDN in the form of hostname.domain.potential_tld, e.g. servername.yourdomain.com
An @ has nothing to do in a hostname/FQDN :)

I do appreciate the reply, but this does not answer the original question. I will move on, thanks.

I do appreciate the reply, but this does not answer the original question. I will move on, thanks.
Install it with a valid FQDN, or adapt the /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname files and reboot. The web UI should be available then.

It was a bit too late last night and I forgot to add that piece of information :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!