Installation startup problem - black screen on boot

fedepupo

Apr 15, 2024
Hi everyone,
I had installed proxmox on a BMAX B6 Pro, for various reasons I had to delete the disk and have to reinstall from scratch.
now when I start the installation from USB, after choosing "install proxmox", the installation starts as shown in the screenshot and then the screen turns off.

I tried to start the Ubuntu installation and it gives me the same problem, but I managed to install Windows 11.

I've been banging my head about it for 2 days, can anyone help me?

Thank you

Attachments

• photo1713431458.jpeg
    photo1713431458.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi,

according to the (cut-off) screenshot, you seem to be using an old 7.4 ISO. Is there any good reason for that?
If not, I'd suggest try using the latest 8.1-2 ISO and see if that works.

Also, updating the BIOS/UEFI to the latest version available is always a good thing and can help in certain situations. Esp. consumer hardware often has pretty buggy/shoddy firmware.

I tried with version 8, 7 and 6 but they all have the same problem.

There are no bios updates on the manufacturer's site.

Could you please try booting the 8.1-2 ISO, but choose Install Proxmox VE (Terminal UI) [the second option] instead?
That might help, since it sounds like something graphics-card related.

Also, you can additionally try booting with the nomodeset option if the above doesn't work, as laid out in our documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#nomodeset_kernel_param

Reactions: fedepupo
1. Fully reset your bios settings, depending on your MB model you may be able to achieve this by using onboard jumpers or taking out the CMOS battery. There could also be an option of reloading defaults within the bios menu.

2. Make yourself a USB drive of Ubuntu desktop ISO or some sort of Windows PE. The idea is to get a OS that runs on a USB stick and you can use that OS to wipe everything off your disk, including partition tables.

The you should have a clean fresh start. Note that you may need to adjust your bios settings to run PVE, virtualization and all that stuff.
:)

Last edited:
1. Fully reset your bios settings, depending on your MB model you may be able to achieve this by using onboard jumpers or taking out the CMOS battery. There could also be an option of reloading defaults within the bios menu.

2. Make yourself a USB drive of Ubuntu desktop ISO or some sort of Windows PE. The idea is to get a OS that runs on a USB stick and you can use that OS to wipe everything off your disk, including partition tables.

The you should have a clean fresh start. Note that you may need to adjust your bios settings to run PVE, virtualization and all that stuff.
:)

I managed to reinstall windows 11, and everything works fine.
but if I start the installation of proxmox or any other linux distro (ubuntu desktop or server), I have a black screen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!