[SOLVED] Backup retention rules

bly

Mar 15, 2024
Hello,
I'd like have last 4 daily, plus last 2 weekly, last 6 monthly, and 1 yearly backup, and I had set the retention accordly as in figure:

1713347407184.png

After a week of running daily backups, I see in content only the last 4 daily backups, but not the first backup I did a week ago:

1713347518396.png

How I correcly have to setup retention (or backup job) in order to have the intended behaviour?

After a week of running daily backups, I see in content only the last 4 daily backups, but not the first backup I did a week ago:
AFAIK the cycle reckoning for weekly retention, uses Sunday (last day). Your retention includes a backup for the 14th of April. So you have a weekly-retained backup.
Give it another few days - and you should have 5 backups - including that of the 14th (Sunday).

Last edited:
Hi,

The prune settings in Proxmox Backup Server define how many backups to keep for a given period. Did you see https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/prune-simulator/index.html ?
AFAIK the cycle reckoning for weekly retention, uses Sunday (last day). Your retention includes a backup for the 14th of April. So you have a weekly-retained backup.
Give it another day - and you should have 5 backups - including that of the 14th (Sunday).

Thanks for pointing me up that Weekly retention uses Sundays.
From the simulator I see Monthly uses the last day of the month.
I expect the yearly using the last day of the year?

I will check the incoming Monday to see the weekly backup but I guess it will be ok :)

I wonder... if I don't do any backup on Sundays, I'll never have any weekly backup retained?
I mean, if I backup only on the end of working days because I don't need backup of the days no one uses servers, is weekly retention failing?
Maybe which day of the week to use for retention use is set up somewhere I can change?

I wonder... if I don't do any backup on Sundays, I'll never have any weekly backup retained?
I mean, if I backup only on the end of working days because I don't need backup of the days no one uses servers, is weekly retention failing?
You may wonder - but I'm pretty sure it will keep the most recent backup for that week ending on Sunday; irrespective on what day of that week the backup was made.

Edit: Just tried it in the simulator - and is as expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: bly
mean, if I backup only on the end of working days because I don't need backup of the days no one uses servers, is weekly retention failing?
It will keep the last backup done that month, no matter what day of the week it got taken.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!