dir to zfs migration error

GesaInfo

Apr 17, 2024
Hi, I have to transfer a VM from one node to another, the problem is that if I try to perform the migration, it tells me ERROR: storage migration for 'SSD:102/vm-102-disk-0.raw' to storage 'ZFS' failed - cannot migrate from storage type 'dir' to 'zfspool'. how can I solve it?

'SSD:102/vm-102-disk-0.raw' to storage 'ZFS' failed - cannot migrate from storage type 'dir' to 'zfspool'
I believe the raw file image stored in the directory type storage cannot be stored as a VM image to the zfspool type storage.

See this, & note 1

You try to migrate from node A with storage dir to node B with storage zfs? This may be impossible. Normally, you have a shared storage, so that it's just a simple click an takes a second or use at least the same storage type e.g. ZFS on both machines in order to have replication and easier migration.

A workaround could be to mount a nfs or cifs shared storage to both nodes (or to the cluster in this example) and migrate the VM first from storage dir to storage shared, then to the other node and then to the zpool.

You try to migrate from node A with storage dir to node B with storage zfs? This may be impossible. Normally, you have a shared storage, so that it's just a simple click an takes a second or use at least the same storage type e.g. ZFS on both machines in order to have replication and easier migration.

A workaround could be to mount a nfs or cifs shared storage to both nodes (or to the cluster in this example) and migrate the VM first from storage dir to storage shared, then to the other node and then to the zpool.
I will try this solution. Will I convert to raw or qcow2?

Hi,
dir->zfs is not implemented for offline migration yet, but you can use online/live migration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!