Proxmox with T1000 GPU Passthru to Windows 2019 Server

FluxSine

Mar 29, 2024
Hello there,

I hope this message finds you all in good spirits!

I'm reaching out because we're currently exploring options for a SuperMicro 6028U-TR4T+ 2U server. Our goal is to find a GPU suitable for workstation tasks that can be directly passed through to a Windows Server installation, likely either 2019 or 2022.

If anyone has successfully achieved this setup or has recommendations for workstation-class GPUs, particularly within the $300-$600 price range, that would be compatible with a 2U server and recognized in a Windows Server installation, we would greatly appreciate your insights and suggestions.
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Is there a resource that shows GPUs and what type of VMs they work on reliably? Such as Linux, Windows 11, Windows 2016, 2019, 2022 Server, etc.?

PS: We briefly considered the Flex 170 route, but since we don't currently require VDI, a direct 1 GPU to VM setup is acceptable. However, finding a combination of a video card that works in Proxmox, fits in a 2U factor, and can be passed through to a Windows Server environment seems to be a little tricky. Any advice on this front would be invaluable.

This is relatively trivial - are you intending to passthru the whole PCI card? There are some caveats with sleep and multimonitor - but I have setup a workstations with a 1070, 1080, 4080 Nvidia fully passed thru (and dedicated for windows). the more tricky configs are vGPU, but I would expect them to start to be easier as intel gets more srvio penetration in the marketplace.

I've had good look with any nvidia passthru - so if you can find a card that fits it should work.

Reactions: FluxSine
This is relatively trivial - are you intending to passthru the whole PCI card? There are some caveats with sleep and multimonitor - but I have setup a workstations with a 1070, 1080, 4080 Nvidia fully passed thru (and dedicated for windows). the more tricky configs are vGPU, but I would expect them to start to be easier as intel gets more srvio penetration in the marketplace.

I've had good look with any nvidia passthru - so if you can find a card that fits it should work.
Ah, understood! I see where you're coming from. In our scenario, we're looking to optimize workstation-class GPUs. So something like a T1000 or an A2000. We're intentionally avoiding gaming cards because of space constraints, heat concerns, and potential fan issues. Have you seen anything like that?

Reactions: peril
The hardest thing for you is finding something that will fit that form factor. (I'm watching this thread for ideas) You shouldnot have any trouble setting it up. There is a lot of moodiness with the mbar / pci-x passthru - in working it out initially - but you will get thru it.

I've been banging my head (learning) against win11 / win10 remote gaming virt (and trying to do things like swap out video cards (i.e. arc 750 for nvidia to transpose the hardware setup.) The worst has been wierdness with the intel consumer ARC GPUs not releasing on reboot so got irritated with it when the CPU goes into a spinlock and the vm won't reboot or release resources) Being able to snap and restore a windows config from a snapshot makes recovery and testing of client stacks a breeze.

I have no trouble with any Nvidia cards with straight passthru to windows / linux, (with the exception of power management config not being great for waking from sleep in multimonitor setups, and one of the non-main monitors would be out of sync) - but if you don't need power mgt (or wake from sleep or screen blanking) -should be ok .

There are more clued folks here for setup ideas (watching)

Reactions: FluxSine

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!