backup speed for LXC with ZFS backend

yarii

Renowned Member
Mar 24, 2014
Well - doing incremental backup I see that comparing backups VM(1TB) and LXC(800GB) speed there is 10x performance gap (or even more! - doing backup for LXC is significantly slower even if it's smaller)
I did some test zfs send/zfs receive to remote host not differs so much.

Local storage backend: zfs
Remote storage: Proxmox Backup Suite (newest v3).

Is it possible to make this process faster for LXC?

Last edited:
Is it possible to make this process faster for LXC?
No. Only VMs could make use of dirty-bitmapping. Means when using a VM, QEMU will keep track of what parts of the virtual disk got written to or overwritten since the last backup and will completely skip those unchanged parts so those won't need to be read and hashed again.
When using LXCs all the data has to be read and hashed each time.
So if you got a LXC and VM, each 1000 GB and both of them only changed by 1 GB since the last backup, then the VM will only have to read and backup 1 GB but the LXC has to read 1000 GB and backup 1GB.

Last edited:
I know that difference but in backup process incremental snapshot using zfs send / zfs receive time is also the same.
Maybe PBS/PBS Client dev should use other magic spells for backuping LXC?

PBS won't make use of any ZFS features like snapshots or zfs replication. PBS should work with any filesystem, no matter what storage is used for best compatibility.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!