USB to RJ45 - Adding a 2nd port to Proxmox server

Saintflyer

Jul 18, 2023
Hey, quick question. Hoping this is the correct place to address this. If not please let me know. I loaded up my first Proxmox server today on a HP EliteDesk 800 G6, used Rufus to format USB flashdrive with Proxmox 8. Installing was great no issues. I would like to add a 2nd 1gb RJ45 connection though. I purchased a TP-Link UE306 USB to RJ45 adaptor plugged into one of the USB ports on the EliteDesk and rebooted Proxmox. When it came up I checked the Networking tab and did not see it nor is it lighting up my adaptor or switch port.
Has anyone else tried this or had any luck adding a 2ns RJ45 port this way? If so what was the trick. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
-Saint

I would run commands like modinfo ax88179_178a, lsmod | grep ax88, lsusb, ip addr to see if the driver is supported and loaded and if the USB device is found.

Reactions: Saintflyer
I would run commands like modinfo ax88179_178a, lsmod | grep ax88, lsusb, ip addr to see if the driver is supported and loaded and if the USB device is found.
Thanks for the quick reply, I was able to update the r8152.c rules, and rebooted. It loaded the correct realtek driver. Or correctly loaded it once I updated the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb-realtek-net.rules file. Great YouTube on it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfPm2CxfI4

Reactions: thelinhlge
Then they switched the hardware, as the TP-Link website reports that a "AX88179" chipset is used.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!