Hyper-V in Windows Guest Under Proxmox

mcit

May 16, 2010
I need to provision a server for RemoteApp [part of Remote Desktop Services under Windows Server 2008]

My issue is that during the installation of the Remote Desktop Services feature, in order to install RemoteApp support, Hyper-V must be installed. Sounds easy, except the Hyper-V installation fails on the CPU check. The error is that the CPU does not support Virtualisation or it is turned off in the BIOS.

I have implemented the args: -cpu host flag in the /etc/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf file, however this does not fix it.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestion as to how I may be able to acomplish this?

Any help would be appreciated at this point as I am at a loss.

proxmox1:/etc/qemu-server# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.8-15 (pve-manager/1.8/5754)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.8-32
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-32
qemu-server: 1.1-30
pve-firmware: 1.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-11
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.14.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-5

Matthew

I do not think that running a hypervisor inside Proxmox is a good idea, but you need nested kvm in this case. experimental support should be there if you have AMD cpu´s. and make sure you run the latest packages of Proxmox VE.
do you have AMD cpu?

No, the CPU here is a Core i7 960

Does this mean there is no way to acomplish this?

I have had some success.

For those interested, you can run the following commands from an elevated command prompt

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V-Management-Clients

This installs the Hyer-V roles without the CPU check. I do not believe that it removes the VT requirements, but in my case, the Core i7 has VT and Hyper-V is working. It is also worth noting that I have removed the args: -cpu host flag from the /etc/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf file and it still works.

I have had some success.

For those interested, you can run the following commands from an elevated command prompt

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V-Management-Clients

This installs the Hyer-V roles without the CPU check. I do not believe that it removes the VT requirements, but in my case, the Core i7 has VT and Hyper-V is working. It is also worth noting that I have removed the args: -cpu host flag from the /etc/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf file and it still works.
Hi,
the i7 has VT, but without nested kvm only for the host, not inside the VMs. So your windows-vm can't see (or use) any VT.
Intel has also now nested kvm - but first with kernel 3.1... i don't know if such things will be backported to 2.6.32?!

Udo

I can now confirm that I have installed and configured RemoteAPP on my Guest Windows Server 2008 R2 machine and it does appear to be working perfectly.

I can only assume this means that the Hyper-V install really does not need the VT support in order to use RemoteAPP. I have not gone as far as installing a Guest in Hyper-V, nor would I particularly want to. [I have proxmox for that :D] This project was only to get RemoteAPP up and running, in this I appear to have succeeded. [touch wood]

Perhaps if anyone has anyone has a better understanding of what Hyper-V does under RemoteAPP they may be able to shed some light on why this works without Nested KVM for the sake of having the information in this thread.

That is different again. RemoteAPP is for running an application on a users desktop, when the application is setup on a terminal server. Basically Terminal Services without the rest of the servers desktop [Citrix XenApp's poorer cousin]

That app allows you to run an application hosted within a Hyper-V VM on a desktop machine without the rest of the Hyper-v VM machines desktop. Interesting, I did not know that exisited, but it owuld not have helped me here, I had to set up the Terminal Server to host the application. I am not actually running a Hyper-V VM.

Thanks for the info though. Never know when something like that might come in handy.

Matthew

How come I've tested RemoteApp on both 2k8 and 2k8R2, 32-bit and 64-bit on PVE and it never asked me to install Hyper-V?

Hyper-V is not required to run RemoteAPP.
I currently run RemoteApp on test RDS servers which are running as VMs on Proxmox 1.8.
RemoteApp is basically a RDS desktop session with no access to the desktop.

Hyper-V IS required if you want to deploy a MS VDI solution (RDVH) or if you want to use RemoteFX.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!