No KVM on a XEON E5620

holgihero

Jan 13, 2010
I did a fresh install of debian5/proxmox on a Fujitsu TX200 w. Xeon E5620 and found KVM is gone (on the previous install everything was fine):

open /dev/kvm: Is a directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support

I tried kernel 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 with no success.
Here are versions:
proxmox-01:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.8-18 (pve-manager/1.8/6070)
running kernel: 2.6.35-1-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.8-11
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve: 2.6.35-11
qemu-server: 1.1-30
pve-firmware: 1.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-17
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.27-1pve1
vzdump: 1.2-13
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.14.1-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

Of course i checked BIOS, VT is enabled.
What did I do wrong this time?

Best regards, Holger

is there a bios update? and after enabling VT in the bios, power off the box (no reboot) and wait a minute before powering on again.

Hi Tom,

no bios update on my side. It is a new machine, i test installed debian and proxmox last week and everything was fine, i created vm's and they did run fine with KVM.
Then I decided to do a clean new install from scratch because the machine has to go to customer on friday.
I reformated, installed debian and proxmox and out of nothing there is no KVM any more...

I am really stuck.

Regards Holger

OK, solution is in the message (as usually).

"open /dev/kvm: Is a directory"

I named a lvm-volume group as "kvm" which for obvious reasons should be avoided.
Maybe a little reminder in the wiki would help...

Best regards, Holger

I didn´t see this, sorry. can you add a hint in the wiki?

just register in the wiki, everybody can edit the wiki, just some pages are protected (e.g. start page).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!