backup snapshot failed

Ernie Rojas

Dec 15, 2010
Lima, Peru, Peru
hi folks, i tried to make a backup as snapshot but i have this problem:

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump --dumpdir /var/lib/vz/backup --snapshot 103
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 103 (qemu)
INFO: running
INFO: status = running
INFO: mode failure - unable to dump into snapshot (use option --dumpdir)
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: suspend vm
INFO: creating archive '/var/lib/vz/backup/vzdump-qemu-103-2010_12_16-14_24_38.tar'
INFO: adding '/var/lib/vz/backup/vzdump-qemu-103-2010_12_16-14_24_38.tmp/qemu-server.conf' to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
INFO: adding '/var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk' to archive ('vm-disk-scsi0.vmdk')
^CINFO: resume vm
INFO: vm is online again after 24 seconds

the mode change to suspend, is there way to fix this problem?

Hi,

I noticed some time ago that this will happen if your backup directory is on the same partition where you have your virtualized systems.

Regards,

you cannot store the backup in the same LVM volume, this will create a loop. backup to a remote storage like NFS or to some location outside /var/lib/vz.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!