Make additionnals vzctl settup persistents

lminoza

Dec 16, 2010
Hello,

I run a zimbra server on openvz in Proxmox VE 1.7, in order to have this application work, I have to run: vzctl set 104 --save --privvmpages 9000000:16000000 each time I touch the configuration of this PVE in Proxmox. Is there a way to make this change persistent ?

The --save option does the same than editing the config file. My problem is that proxmox will override this file with its own values as soon as I change something in the vm config via proxmox.
So the parameters not accessible via the interface can't be modified persistently.

I made a little more tests and reading ( http://maxgarrick.com/understanding-openvz-resource-limits/ http://wiki.openvz.org/Privvmpages#privvmpages) and found that there is a lot of differences between the meaning of RAM + SWAP in a physical machine (or kvm ;) and privvmpages notion in openvz. So the RAM and SWAP parameter in proxmox is not related to "harware" parameters. As example, with my zimbra VZ on a 12GB RAM hardware, I have to allocate not less than 40GB of proxmox memory (half RAM and half SWAP).
When running this pve, the actualy used memory (oomguardpages) is 2GB (max 2.5GB), the allocated memory (privvmpages) is 8GB and the max allocaded memory was 39GB.
My problem is that with this parameters, the oomguardpages is bigger than physical ram so this pve can impact all the other pve on the same node in case of high load.

I think that RAM and SWAP parameters could be relabeled (as for example "max usable" and "max allocatable") and used to set different values for oomguardpages (vmguardpages) and privvmpages in order to allow such java filled pve to be easily configured.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!