PVE-Kernel compile

macday

Mar 10, 2010
Stuttgart / Germany
Dear Proxmox Team,

please could you PN me a howto to compile the pve 2.6.35.1 kernel. I have a test machine with Ubuntu 10.10 KVM and a self compiled kernel with 1000Hz and a Core2 optimization. It runs much faster than the standard 100Hz kernel. If you couldn´t send me a howto please compile it yourself and PN me. I will post all performance differencies and make all the tests you want me to.

many thanks
macday

p.s.: I am able to test it also on an Opteron Host. If you compile it, then also 1000Hz with K8 optimization (as CPU-Type). thx

Last edited:
any details about "much faster"?

I have several big servers (samba, nfs, rsync, multi terrabytes via fibrechannel) and the reaction time for the clients really got better once i compiled the production kernels to 1000Hz and tickless set to off. Before I began to use Proxmox I use VMware Server 2.0 and I always had IO issues with the standard 100Hz Host kernel. The issues all gone with 1000Hz. I know that you can´t compare apples to pies. I just want to test it. And to my surprise the new archivista-vm uses the 1000Hz PREEMPT kernel 2.6.35.7 which is based on Proxmox.

What about timekeeping on hz=1000? Before I started using tickless kernels I had serious time drift problems on virtual machines. This problem went away with enabling tickless.

Also having a guest running on 1000hz causes increased cpu consumption even when the VM is idle. If you have performance graphs for your proxmox servers, you can easily spot the difference between hz=100 and hz=1000 (cpu consumption on an idle guest is a few percent lower on hz=100).

If you need to compile your own pve-kernel:
1. Grab the latest kernel here:
http://download.proxmox.com/sources/
2. Unpack it and run "make"
The make process will download source for 2.6.35, apply proxmox patches to it, etc. and build it

AFAIR once the kernel is downloaded and patched, you can reconfigure it to suit your needs and run "make" once again.

Thank you.

I tried it now. I edited the Makefile (make menuconfig instead of make oldconfig) but the kernel-package is still 100Hz and all the other defaults. The .config file has the correct settings (after my modification). Is the configfile overwritten by the git-operation? Can you help me?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!