About multiple VCPUs

rahman

Renowned Member
Nov 1, 2010
Hi,

What are your experiences about multiple vCPUs on a VM (on KVM)? Should we configure a VM to have 2,4 or more vCPUs? Or should we leave it one cpu per VM, then the hypervisor should care about balancing workload over physical cpus?

Does it matter if we use Windows guests or Linux ones? AFAIK, vmware suggests to use one cpu per vm and let hypervisor to handle workload. I dont remember where I read but they say only to use smp in VMs if you know what you are doing and smp in VMs should cause performance hits instead of performance gains.

I am planning to install Oracle DB 11g on oracle Linux guest. Should I cretae the vm with multi cpu or let it have one cpu?

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!