Proxmox Encryption

centrehosting

Dec 14, 2010
Hi,

I have been looking in to the encryption options for Proxmox based systems.

Truecrypt only offers full system encryption with a bootloader for windows systems.

Does anyone know an easy alternative?

What were you looking to Encrypt? This is more of a general linux situation. If you are just looking into encrypting data on some VMs then you may just want to set the encryptions opens when installing the VMs. You could also encrypt the area you store VM images but that would probably have a large performance penalty, but then again it would probably be better then each individual VM being encrypted.

Thank you for your reply.

I prefer to look into multiple options and then test the performance. So compare encryption of the full Proxmox system vs encrypting the virtual machines directory vs encrypting on a VM level within the VM.

The last option is clear to me, but can anyone tell me more about the first two? Any products to recommend together with a how to guide?

Also loss of throughput is not a problem; I can get it cheap, fast and encrypted I guess.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!