Proxmox configuration for virtualize servers and 2 networks

sbonneau

Dec 11, 2010
Hello,
Mt post is just intended to qualify the host hardware configuration and functionnalities of Proxmox VE versus VMWARE..

My host server is an TYAN S8212 motherboard with 2 AMD64 opteron 2350 and 2 NICs:

It's got 2 Integrated SataII Raid 0/1 Controller for 2 HDD's and i bought 1 3Ware9650SE 4 Ports Sata II Raid 0/1/5 Controller for Data performances access.

About my networks :
The NIC-1 is connected to an external network with IP adress reserved from a foreign DHCP Server. On this network, my server is a isolated machine with Internet access in a DMZ.
The NIC-2 is connected to an internal network through a d-link switch.
For that network , my host is a DHCP server.

All my Virtual Server have 2 NICs Bridge to NIC-2 by NAT for Internet access and to NIC-1 for internal access.
I just control, open and redirect specific ports on my host to reach my VMs from internet (Ex 8080 or 21,3389, etc...)

My VM's are appliances server's and the data are stored outside the VM's disks for easy backups..

My questions are :

1) Should i store my datas on the RAID 5 controller and the VM's on the internal Raid Controller or is it better to store data and VM's on RAID 5 Controller ?

2) About Proxmox : Can i configure the bridging methods for VM to have the same level of services, NAT and port Forwarding from Host to VM ?

Thank you for all replies,

Please is someone can take a quick look to this thread and confirm me that proxmox VE is well fared to replicate this VMWARE configuration ???

Thanks by advance.
Stephane

ad 1: you talk about OpenVZ containers or KVM guest? regarding the hardware - what is integrated raid? is this real hardware raid or fake raid?
ad 2: our network model is quite flexible - http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

Hello Tom,
1) I'm speaking about KVM Guest, as i'm novice on Proxmox, i don't know how to deal with OpenVZ containers... The integrated Raid Controller is real hardware raid, the 2nd raid controller card is PCI-e 4x 3ware 9650se (real hardware too), drivers are givan for vmware
2) I had already a look towards the network models, at first i'm trying to import my VM servers into proxmox before going ahead.

I will certainly take the annual support assitance to help me to configure the network and the VPS, though i want to qualify technically that :
_ my VM's are well imported in proxmox VE
_ my network model is replicable in Proxmox VE
_ the best Proxmox VE configuration regarding my host hardware

Many thanks,
Stephane

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!